May 30, 2008

Creamy chicken and leek pasta

I wanted to make a healthier version of a cream sauce because I've been making so many cakes recently and thought I should balance out my diet a bit! This recipe produces a lovely smooth sauce and has a lot of flavour. It would also be great piled on top of a Jacket Potato!

I have to admit I didn't take a photo because I was too focused on eating! But I will definitely be making this again so I'll take a photo next time before I wolf it down!

Serves 2

Ingredients:
  • Pasta for 2 people (I used Bucatini which is my favourite)
  • 2 rashers of Bacon, cut into small strips
  • 2 Chicken Thighs, cut into small strips
  • 1 medium Leek, washed and cut into rings
  • A few Mushrooms, washed and sliced
  • 1 clove Garlic, crushed
  • 1 tbsp Plain Flour
  • 300ml Stock (I used Marigold Swiss Vegetable Bouillon Powder)
  • 1 tbsp Wholegrain or French Mustard
  • Pinch Cayenne Pepper
  • 2 tbsp Creme Fraiche or low-fat cream cheese


Directions:
  1. Cook pasta according to pack instructions whilst you make the sauce.
  2. Fry the bacon in a little olive oil until brown and crispy. Add the chicken and fry until brown as well. Remove meat from the pan and put in a bowl, but retain the oils and juices in the pan.
  3. Fry the mushrooms and leeks for about 5 minutes until softened, then add the garlic.
  4. Return the meat to the pan, then stir in the flour.
  5. Add the stock, mustard and cayenne and simmer until the stock has reduced by half.
  6. Add the creme fraiche or cream cheese and simmer until dissolved and the sauce is smooth and creamy.
  7. Drain the cooked pasta and reserve a couple of tablespoons of the cooking water.
  8. Add the pasta to the sauce and toss until fully coated in the sauce. Add some of the cooking water if necessary to help bind and thicken the sauce.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin