MUNCH RATING: 3 OUT OF 5
I had some blueberries to use up (not from our plant unfortunately) so I found this cupcake recipe. The texture of the cakes are between a fairy cake and a muffin, but the drizzle makes them very moist. The recipe for the drizzle says to use caster sugar, but the drizzle didn't go crunchy, so after some Internet research I'm going to try granulated sugar next time. I will definitely make these again and try them with raspberries which is what the original recipe used.
- Makes: 12 cupcakes
- Oven shelf position: middle
- Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C
- Baking time: 30-35 minutes (Original recipe said 20-25 mins)
- You will need: 12-hole muffin tin (or normal cake tin is fine) with paper muffin cases
Cupcakes – Ingredients:
- 200g Self-raising flour
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 200g Unsalted butter, softened
- 4 large Eggs
- 200g Caster sugar
- 3 tbsp Milk
- 50g Ground almonds
- Zest of 1medium Orange
- 150g punnet Blueberries/Raspberries, washed then lightly crushed
Sugar drizzle – Ingredients:
- Juice of 1 medium Orange
- 4 tbsp Caster or Granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven and line muffin tin with paper muffin cases.
- Tip the first 8 ingredients into a large bowl and beat with electric whisk until smooth.
- Fold the crushed fruit through the batter.
- Divide the batter between the cases - there is a lot of mixture so they will be almost full to the top.
- Gently tap the tray on your work surface to even out the mixture and knock out any excess air which could cause the cakes to sink.
- Bake for 30-35 mins or until golden and just firm.
- To make the Sugar drizzle: mix together the orange juice and sugar until well blended.
- Remove the cupcakes from the oven and allow to cool a little but the cakes should still be hot when you drizzle each with the orange and sugar mix.