I made these nuts to go into Brie & Pesto tarts which worked out OK, but these nuts are so much better just eaten on their own as a snack!
You will need: medium saucepan
- 1 cup nuts (I used already toasted and slightly salted cashews*)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- To make the caramel: sprinkle the sugar evenly over bottom of your pan.
- Cook over a medium heat, without stirring, for about 5 minutes until the sugar is melted and has turned a nice amber colour and has the consistency of syrup. Once the sugar starts to melt you can swirl it around the pan to evenly melt all the sugar. When the sugar has melted then you can stir the caramel (stirring too soon will cause the sugar to recrystallise and create a grainy caramel)
- Remove from the heat.
- Quickly add the nuts to the pan and return to the heat. Stir until the nuts are evenly coated with the caramel.
- Transfer to a plate to cool completely.
- Coarsely chop them on a chopping board or put them in a zip-lock bag and smash it on the counter a few times and then use them in recipes on sprinkle on top of ice cream.
- Create nut clusters (as shown in the picture) by using 2 teaspoons to make little balls and putting on a plate to cool.
- You can store them in an airtight container up to 2 weeks - but they really won't last that long as they're very moreish!
* If your nuts aren't already toasted then you will need to cook them in medium frying pan over medium heat for 9 to 12 minutes until light golden brown. Transfer to a small bowl.