MUNCH RATING: 4/5
I haven’t eaten oxtail in years, but I remember my parents cooking it and the meat being really delicious. I cooked this Italian style stew in my Tefal 4-in-1 and it was really nice.
- Serves: 4-6
- Cooking time: 9 hours
- 3 Tablespoons plain flour
- Salt and pepper
- 1.5kg/3lb 5oz oxtail pieces
- 1 Tablespoon oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 Tablespoon white wine vinegar mixed with 150 ml water (or the equivalent amount of red or white wine would be good)
- 2 x 400g/14oz tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 beef OXO cube
- Put the flour on a plate and season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the oxtail pieces in the seasoned flour and shake off the excess.
- Heat the oil in a large pan, then fry the oxtail pieces until brown all over. You will probably need to do this in batches. Set the browned oxtail aside.
- In the same pan, fry the onions and garlic until the are just starting to soften and colour.
- Add the white wine vinegar and the water and rapidly boil until it has reduced by half.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and bring to the boil.
- Crumble in the OXO cube.
- Pour everything into the slow cooker and cook for at least 9 hours for tender meat (this is the maximum time you can set the Tefal to slow cook), but anything up to 12-15 hours would be even better.
- Ideally I would cook this in advance and allow to cool so I could skim off the excess fat as oxtail is quite fatty and then reheat to serve.
- Oven Cook: You can also cook this in the oven in a covered casserole dish for 5-6 hours on Gas mark 2/300°F/150°C/very low.