July 3, 2009

Curried Potato Pasties

Curry Potato Pasties

MUNCH RATING: 4/5

I made these ages ago but I didn’t take a photo because I couldn’t wait to eat them! Luckily I kept some in the freezer and we had them for lunch today. They were just as nice cooked from frozen.

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:
This recipe is from BBC Good Food, but I tweaked the recipe and added sweet potato, which adds a lovely sweet flavour and compliments the curry flavour. Because I added an equal quantity of sweet potato to normal potato, I had some leftover potato filling so I’m going to use it to make fish cakes.

I used the other 340g block of puff pastry (from the pack that I bought for the Duck Puffs) to make these tasty little pasties. I have changed the method for rolling out the pastry to make it easier.

  • Makes 8 and I would serve 2 per person
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C
  • Prep time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 30 minutes 

Ingredients:
  • 300g/10oz potatoes, peeled and cut into 1cm dice
  • 300g/10oz sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1cm dice (optional)
  • 100g/4oz frozen peas
  • 2 teaspoon oil
  • 1 onion, roughly chopped
  • 1-2 teaspoon curry paste (I used 2 tsp curry powder, ½ tsp chilli powder and 1 Tbsp tomato ketchup instead)
  • 1 teaspoon black mustard seeds (I didn’t use these)
  • Juice of ½ lemon (About 1 tablespoon)
  • handful coriander, chopped (I hate this stuff so didn’t use it)
  • 340-375g block of ready-rolled puff pastry
  • 1 egg, beaten 

Directions:
  1. Heat a large pan of water, add the potatoes, then cook for 8 minutes until just soft. Add the peas 1 minute before the end of cooking time. Drain, then set aside.
  2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the onion until soft and slightly coloured. Add the curry paste/powder mix and mustard seeds, then fry for a few minutes more until the mixture smells fragrant. Carefully stir in the potatoes and peas, trying not to mash them. Add the lemon juice and coriander, then leave to cool.
  3. Heat the oven to Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C. Place your pastry block onto a lightly floured surface and cut it into 8 even sized rectangles. Roll each rectangle flat until it is approximately 3x5 inches in size. Place about a tablespoon of the potato filling onto one half of the rectangle, then brush the edges with beaten egg and then fold the pastry rectangle in half to cover the filling. Pinch the edges together along the 3 open edges to seal the parcel.
  4. Place on a baking tray, lined with greaseproof paper and brush with more egg and bake for 20 minutes until puffed up and golden brown. 


COOK'S NOTES:
  • If you need to re-roll your puff pastry, stack the trimmings on top of each other to keep the layers. 
  • Freezing: don’t brush with beaten egg if you want to freeze the pasties and cook for 30 minutes if cooking from frozen.


You might also be interested in: Duck Puffs

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin