March 21, 2009

Slow cooked Lamb Korma Curry

Lamb Korma

MUNCH RATING:3/5

 

I’ve been using my Tefal 4-in-1 to slow cook quite a few dishes and so far they’ve all been successful! For this lamb korma I used 1 packet of frozen casserole lamb which comes cut in 1 inch cubes and it’s really handy as you can cook from frozen.

 

I’d read that some people worry about using milk or coconut milk in their slow cookers, as they worry it will boil over. I didn’t have any problems using coconut milk in this recipe, but it’s probably because the Tefal 4-in-1 has such a large, deep bowl.

 

I used the Tefal 4-in-1 to cook my rice as well, so I had to transfer the curry to a pan, but this allowed me to thicken the sauce and finish cooking the potatoes.

 

Steve and I managed to eat all of this between us (because we’re extremely greedy, but we did feel ill afterwards!), but the amount of sauce would serve 4 people and you can double up the amount of lamb and potatoes for healthy appetites.

  • Tefal 4-in-1 Slow Cook: 6 hours
  • Tefal 4-in-1 Rice Cook: 20 minutes

 

Ingredients:

  • 500g/1lb casserole lamb, cubed
  • 1 onion, peeled and chopped
  • 4 tablespoons (about ½ jar) korma paste (I used Pataks)
  • 1 400ml can coconut milk
  • 8 small potatoes (about the size of plums), peeled

 

Directions:

  1. In a large pan brown the lamb in a little bit of oil – you will probably need to do this in batches. Once brown put the lamb into the slow cooker (at this stage I switch my slow cooker on to warm it up and set it for 5 hours).
  2. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until golden brown, then put the onion into the slow cooker.
  3. Put the korma paste into the pan and gently fry for about 1 minute until the paste smells fragrant. Add the coconut milk and stir it into the paste until you get a nice smooth sauce. Bring it to the boil and then pour it into the slow cooker. Stir the sauce into the lamb and onions so that they are evenly coated.
  4. Close the lid and check you have the slow cooker set for 5 hours cooking time.
  5. Once 5 hours have passed, add the potatoes and cook for another 1 hour.
  6. After 6 hours cooking, the lamb should be soft and tender. Transfer the curry to a large pan, cover and simmer for 10 minutes until the potatoes are tender. Then remove the lid and simmer for another 10 minutes to allow the sauce to thicken.
  7. Meanwhile cook the rice, which should take about 20 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin