April 26, 2009

Lighter Lamb Burgers

Lighter Lamb burger

MUNCH RATING: 1/5

This recipe is from BBC Good Food magazine and I liked the sound of it because the couscous and carrot make it a healthier burger. I did tweak the recipe slightly to use ingredients I already had and although the burgers were quite tasty, we weren’t keen on the texture. Even though I used more lamb mince than the recipe suggested, there wasn’t enough of a meaty texture to the burger, which is what we really wanted. It is a good way to make the mince stretch but I don’t think I’ll be making this recipe again.

I froze 2 of the burgers, but we don’t want to eat them again as burgers, so I’ll have to create a recipe to use them up!

I’ve written the recipe as I made it, but you can find the original recipe here: Lighter Lamb Burgers.
  • Makes 4 burgers 

Ingredients:
  • 100g / 4oz couscous (I used a Thai Curry flavoured packet)
  • 2 carrots, finely grated
  • 400g pack lamb mince
  • 3 spring onions, finely chopped
  • 4 fresh mint leaves, finely chopped
  • 1 egg plus 1 egg yolk, beaten 

Directions:
  1. Place the couscous in a heatproof bowl and pour over 100ml boiling water. Leave for a couple of minutes until all the liquid has been absorbed. Squeeze any liquid out of the carrots, then stir into the couscous along with the mince, spring onions, mint and egg. Season well.
  2. Chill in the fridge for at least 1 hour for them to firm up.
  3. Shape the mixture into 4 large burgers. Transfer to a non-stick baking sheet, then grill under a high heat for 6-8 minutes on each side.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin