May 23, 2009

Pork Balls in Batter with Sweet and Sour Sauce

Sweet and Sour Pork Balls

MUNCH RATING: 5/5

When I first made this batter recipe it worked incredibly well. But ever since then it hasn't worked as well as the batter has been too runny. I think I might have converted the quantities incorrectly when I downsized the original recipe, so I need to investigate the problem and I will rewrite the recipe. I'm sorry if you have tried this recipe and it has been a disaster! But the sauce recipe is definitely good and I have used it when I tried a tempura recipe.

I asked my Dad to ask his friends who own a Chinese take-away how they make the batter for pork/chicken balls. Their response was:
Dry the meat and season with salt and pepper. Dust with plain flour. Make a batter by mixing self-raising flour (Green Dragon is the brand) with enough water until you get the consistency where it easily falls from the whisk. Dip the meat into the batter and then deep fry until pale golden brown and the 'balls' have formed their shape. In the take-away they will leave them like this until a customer makes their order and then the balls are re-fried until they are dark golden brown.

So I've got a couple of recipes to test out and will post the results asap!



SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE - INGREDIENTS
  • 1/4 cup (4 Tablespoons) tomato ketchup
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) white vinegar (I used white wine vinegar)
  • 1/4 cup (60ml) water
  • 1/2 cup (100g) white sugar
  • 1/4 cup (45g) brown sugar, packed
  • 1 Tablespoon corn flour
  • 1/8 cup (2 Tablespoons) cold water

SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE - DIRECTIONS:
  1. To make the sauce: in a small saucepan combine the first 6 ingredients and bring to a boil whisking constantly.
  2. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer stirring for 2 minutes.
  3. In a small cup dissolve the corn flour in the cold water until smooth, then add to the simmering sauce stirring constantly.
  4. Cook for another 3 minutes stirring until bubbly and thickened.
  5. I served this at room temperature. You can store it in an airtight container in the fridge for probably about a week.


** 5th April 2010 - Ignore this recipe! It needs updating! **

PORK BALLS – INGREDIENTS:
  • 2/3 cup (80g) plain flour
  • 2/3 cup (80g) corn flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 1 teaspoon sugar
  • 1 cup (240ml) cold water
  • oil for deep frying
  • 1.1lb (500g) pork, cut into small cubes (I used Spare Rib Chops. You could also use chicken breast).

PORK BALLS – DIRECTIONS:
  1. To make the batter: in a large bowl combine the flour, corn flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sugar and water and mix until smooth.
  2. Put the pork pieces into the batter and mix thoroughly to evenly coat them. (I did this about ½ hour before I was ready to cook them as I find batter benefits from time to rest).
  3. Heat the oil in a deep-fryer or large deep saucepan to 375 degrees (I used oil about 3 inches deep in a saucepan. To test the oil was hot enough I dropped some batter in and if it puffed up and sizzled then it was ready).
  4. Then drop the pieces into the hot oil piece by piece and fry until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. (Don’t put too many pieces into the fryer otherwise the temperature of the oil will drop too much, I fried about 10 at a time).
  5. Remove and drain on a paper towel and keep warm in a low oven whilst you fry the rest.

3 comments:

SALS said...

Going to try this tonight :-)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mandy, stumbled into your blog after having spent the best part of a day looking for basic chinese style curry sauce that one usually gets from UK takeaways.

Tried one online test recipe (disaster) and other one, which was OK ish. Trying to avoid buying the concentrates in the supermarkets that seem to be best choice being talked about online. ( I do prefer to cook from scratch )

So would be interested if you ever perfect the classic chicken curry sauce !!!

My next search and also a firm favourate of mine , sweet & sour pork balls , hence me bumping into your recipe which I am going to try out, so thanks for that, really looking forward to it.

Keep up the good work. Happy cooking, Jon Stewart, South West Scotland. (Indian Curry Nut mainly but need to perfect this Chinese curry sauce )

:)

Mandy said...

Hi Jon

Thanks for your lovely comment, I hope the Sweet and Sour is a success for you!

I've afraid I've never tried making a Chinese Curry Sauce, I've always preferred the Japanese Katsu Curry Sauce, which I admit I buy in the packets! Maybe that will be my next challenge!

Please let me know how you get on with the sauces.

Mandy

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin