July 4, 2009

River Cottage Scones

River Cottage Scones

MUNCH RATING: 5/5

I saw these being made on River Cottage recently and they looked truly delicious, so I had to try them as all the scones I’ve made in the past were quite heavy and stodgy. But these are light and crumbly and absolutely AMAZING! Easily the best scones I’ve ever made and possibly eaten! They are not for anyone on a diet as they contain double cream, but they are well worth making and doing a bit of exercise to burn the extra calories!

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:
I will admit I forgot to glaze them with milk as I was too busy thinking about sprinkling them with demerara sugar, which is my own addition to the recipe, as I like the crunchy sweetness it gives. They still came out brilliantly without the milk.

  • Makes: 8 scones
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C
  • Oven shelf: upper-middle
  • You will need: large mixing bowl and a baking tray, lightly greased
  • Cooking time: 15 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 300g plain flour
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • Pinch of salt (optional, I didn’t use this as I used salted Anchor butter)
  • 75g unsalted butter (at cool room temperature), cubed
  • 50g caster sugar (on TV they used 100g but I found 50g enough)
  • 1 egg
  • 120ml double cream
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract (optional, I only used ½ tsp)
  • Milk, for glazing (optional)
  • Demerara sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C and lightly grease a baking sheet.
  2. Sift the flour, baking powder and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and rub in with your fingers until the mix resembles fine breadcrumbs. Alternatively, do this in a food processor before transferring the mixture to a bowl. Either way, then stir in the sugar.
  3. Beat the egg and cream together, with the vanilla extract too, if you’re using it. Stir the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and bring together lightly with your hands into a dough. Turn out on to a lightly floured surface and knead very briefly to form a fairly smooth ball (it will be a bit sticky so just dust with a little bit of flour).
  4. Pat or gently roll the dough out to a thickness of about 4cm. Use a 6-7cm diameter cutter to stamp out scones from the dough (I used a 7cm cutter and only managed to get 7 scones).
  5. Put them on the prepared baking sheet, brush the tops with a little milk or demerara sugar, and bake for about 15 minutes until risen and golden.
  6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool for a few minutes, then serve slightly warm. Scones do not keep well so eat them up quickly!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin