MUNCH RATING: 4/5
This is basically like a lasagne, but instead of using lasagne sheets you use cooked tagliatelle, so it is much quicker to cook as it is just flashed under the grill. I’ve made dishes like this before with a mince beef tomato sauce, but the addition of the wine really makes a difference, as do the herbs and nutmeg, so they are well worth buying.
- Serves: 4
- You will need: an ovenproof dish about 9 x 9 inches
- 225g (8oz) minced beef
- 2 Tablespoons oil
- 50g (2oz) lean bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 small carrot, grated
- 2 Tablespoons red or white wine
- 65ml (2½ fl.oz) stock
- salt and pepper
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 medium tin tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons tomato puree
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- bay leaf
- 100g (4oz) dried tagliatelle
- 450ml (¾ pint) Béchamel sauce*
- 100g (4oz) grated cheese
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a saucepan, add the bacon and cook until golden brown.
- Add the onion and carrot and cook slowly until soft and transparent.
- Stir in the minced beef and cook until the meat changes colour.
- Add the wine, stock, salt and pepper, nutmeg, tomatoes, tomato puree, garlic and bay leaf. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat and simmer gently for approximately 45 minutes.
- Cook the tagliatelle in boiling salted water with the remaining Tablespoon of oil. Drain well.
- Place a layer of meat mixture in an ovenproof dish, cover with a layer of tagliatelle, then a layer of Béchamel sauce and then a layer of grated cheese. Repeat these layers finishing with a layer of cheese.
- Brown under a hot grill or in the top of a hot oven Gas mark 7/425°F/220°C.