October 27, 2009

Cupcakes with Fruity Cream Cheese Frosting

Cupcakes with fruity cream cheese frosting

MUNCH RATING: 5/5

I had quite a bit of frosting leftover from when I made my Mixed Berry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting so I thought I’d make some simple cupcakes to use it up. I got the recipe from a relatively new book I bought: Cupcakes by Sue McMahon. It is just a basic cupcake recipe, nothing fancy, but sometimes you should just stick to simple things. I have changed the method in her recipe because this is how I’ve always made fairy cakes and I know it works!
I only managed to ice 7 out of 12 cupcakes, but I did use a large star shaped nozzle and I only had about half of the original frosting recipe leftover.

  • Makes: 12 cupcakes
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 5/375°F/190°C
  • You will need: 12 hole bun tray lined with paper cases

Ingredients:
  • 125g butter, softened (I used Stork)
  • 125g caster sugar
  • 2 eggs (Sue’s book says to use medium but I used large)
  • 125g self raising flour, sifted
  • 2 Tablespoons milk
  • ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (this is my addition to the recipe!)

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5/375°F/190°C.
  2. Beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, with a Tablespoon of flour with each egg (to prevent curdling) and mix until fully incorporated.
  3. Using a spatula or large metal spoon, fold in the rest of the flour, the milk and vanilla extract and gently mix  until the mixture is smooth.
  4. Divide the mixture between the paper cases and level off.
  5. Bake in the centre of the oven for 12-15 minutes until the cakes have risen and are just firm to the touch.
  6. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing them. 

COOK’S NOTES:
  • Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature to prevent the mixture from curdling.
  • Once your flour is incorporated, don’t keep mixing for too long or you will stretch the gluten and your cakes will be tough.
  • I used a Gas oven and I turned my tray around after half the cooking time had elapsed so that they were evenly browned.
  • Mini cupcakes will take between 10-12 minutes.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin