October 29, 2009

Jam Roly Poly

Jam Roly Poly BGF

 

MUNCH RATING: 4/5

 

After my moderate success with Simon Rimmer’s Jam Roly Poly, I was determined to try a different recipe in the hope that it could be much better. As if by fate, a recipe for this pudding appeared in the November 2009 issue of my BBC Good Food Magazine, so I had to try it.

 

It is a completely different recipe. First of all, the cooking method is in the oven with a tray of hot water at the bottom to help create a moist environment, whereas Simon’s recipe called for a steamer. Secondly, this recipe has no sugar or eggs and uses milk instead of water.

 

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:

I had every faith in the Good Food recipe so I followed it almost exactly the first time I used it. It was a good recipe as I found the texture was much nicer than the steamed version as it was slightly crispy on the outside, but still soft inside. But then I added my own tweaks as I found it wasn’t sweet enough, so I added sugar to the dough. It also wasn’t as golden brown as the Good Food one, so I unwrapped it to expose the top for the last 15 minutes to allow it to get more crunchy.

 

I used greaseproof paper the first couple of times I made this recipe and it sticks like mad, so I used non-stick baking/parchment paper instead which has a coating on it and therefore the roly poly doesn’t stick.

 

So below is my adapted recipe:

  • Serves: 6
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C

 

Ingredients:

  • 50g salted butter, cold and cut into chunks, plus extra for greasing
  • 250g self-raising flour, plus extra for rolling
  • 50g vanilla sugar
  • 25g normal white sugar
  • 50g shredded suet (I used vegetable suet)
  • 150ml milk, plus a drop more if needed
  • 150g of strawberry jam
  • custard, to serve

 

Directions:

  1. Put a deep roasting tin onto the bottom shelf of the oven, and make sure that there's another shelf directly above it. Pull the roasting tin out on its shelf, fill two-thirds with boiling water from the kettle, then carefully slide it back in.
  2. Heat oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
  3. Tear off a large sheet of foil and non-stick baking paper (about 30 x 40cm). Sit the baking paper on top of the foil and butter it.
  4. Tip the butter and flour into a large bowl and rub the butter into the flour until it resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the vanilla sugar and white sugar and the suet. Then pour in the milk and work together with a metal spoon until you get a sticky dough. You may need a drop more milk, depending on your flour.
  5. Tip the dough out onto a floured surface, quickly pat together to smooth, then roll out to a square roughly 25 x 25cm. Spread the jam all over, leaving a gap along one edge, then roll up from the opposite edge. Pinch the jam-free edge into the dough where it meets, and pinch the ends roughly, too. Carefully lift onto the greased paper, join-side down (you might find a flat baking sheet helpful for this), loosely bring up the paper and foil around it, then scrunch together along the edges and ends to seal. The roly-poly will puff quite a bit during cooking so don't wrap it tightly. Lift the parcel directly onto the rack above the tin and cook for 1 hour, then unwrap to expose the top for the last 15 minutes.
  6. Let the pudding sit for 5 mins before unwrapping, then carefully open the foil and paper, and thickly slice to serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin