December 31, 2009

My Christmas

It’s taken me a while to get back into blogging after the Christmas and New Year festivities – I hope you all had a good time and ate and drank well!

 

Steve and I spent Christmas Day at my Dad’s house where my disjointed family gathers and we never have the traditional turkey as no one likes it. We opted for goose as my Mum cooked it a couple of years ago and it was delicious. We nearly didn’t have it though because they’re so expensive (the big supermarkets were charging about £40!) but my Mum found them in Aldi for about £15 – bargain! Unfortunately my Dad got rid of his oven because it was so old (it’s older than me and I’m nearly 29!) and although my Mum bought my Dad one of those halogen ovens, the whole goose wouldn’t fit inside it.

 

So onto Plan B.

 

Which was to cook the goose on the BBQ! I was a bit sceptical that my Dad could pull it off, but he said “Don’t worry, I’m an engineer” and he’d done some research on recipes for stuffing the bird so he sounded like he knew what he was doing. Steve and I arrived at my Dad’s house about 12pm on Christmas Day and we could smell the goose cooking as soon as we got out of the car. It smelled so good that a hungry fox couldn’t help but investigate where the delicious smell was coming from and my Dad had to chase it away.

 

My Dad said he lit the BBQ at 9.30am and starting cooking the goose at about 10am. It was ready roughly after 2pm and we were starving. Luckily my Mum had bought a roast duck from a Chinese supermarket and so we had duck in pancakes with cucumber, spring onion and hoi-sin sauce as a starter. Very non-traditional but we liked it! After this we were pretty full but we still managed to scoff down the goose, pork sausage meat stuffing, roast potatoes, parsnips and veggies. My brother did the potatoes and veggies and they were excellent. He also has a halogen oven as my Mum bought one for him too. She now owns 2 of them herself. I think she must have shares in the company!

The goose was nicely cooked, but it was a little too smoky for us which is a shame as my Dad put a lot of effort into it.

 

I did Crème Brulee for dessert. I’m still perfecting my recipe and technique, but everyone loved it and I had fun using my blowtorch.

 

I’d made a Banana Cake for my Mum as a gift. I used Andi Peter’s recipe and it worked out really well. I forgot to take a photo so will have to make it again and blog the recipe.

I’d also made some cakes using a new cake tin that Steve bought for me. It had 3 different shapes: Santa, a snowman and a Christmas tree. I was going to decorate the cakes but I ran out of time as I’d made loads of Ecclefechan Tarts as well. We still ate the cakes about a week after Christmas, but as a pudding. I poured golden syrup all over the cake, then covered it with custard and nuked it in the microwave for 1 minute. It tasted just like treacle sponge pudding! Steve had his with strawberry jam. I just used the cupcake recipe for the cakes, so I will definitely make this again for a quick and easy pudding!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin