January 31, 2010

Yorkshire Puddings

Yorkshire Puddings-2

 

MUNCH RATING: 5/5

 

I’m not a fan of Yorkshire Puddings and I choose not to eat them when we have a Sunday roast. But Steve’s Mum and sister were having problems with theirs not rising very well, so I decided it was time to take up the challenge of making them. Plus Steve loves them so it would be a great thing if I could get them right.

 

As always, the first place I turn to for a decent recipe is BBC Good Food and here I used Barney Desmazery’s recipe. I love the simplicity of the recipe in that it uses equal quantities of flour, eggs and milk by volume. Barney says there is no need to let the batter ‘stand’ or ‘rest’ so I just made the batter and the only resting time I gave it was the 10 minutes I waited for the oil to heat up in the oven.

 

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:

Now I followed Barney’s recipe pretty faithfully, except that I used my silicone 6-hole muffin tin. Well it used to have 6 usable holes, but one of them split (from me putting it in the freezer to freeze egg whites/yolks) so I only put oil in 5 of the holes. But when it came to pouring the batter into the holes, in my haste I forgot about the one with the split/no oil and poured some batter in it. This one didn’t rise half as much as the others, but it was still extremely edible according to Steve! It just goes to show that you definitely need oil to cook Yorkshires!

 

Yorkshire Puddings

Anyway, I was so pleased with how the others turned out! I actually really enjoyed eating them, as they were lovely and crispy on top and not stodgy at all.

 

Yorkshire Puddings-1

 

OLD HABITS DIE HARD:

When Steve’s Mum saw them she was really impressed, but then she asked me what recipe I used and she balked at the idea of using 4 eggs! She uses a recipe that only uses 1 egg, so she was adamant that the great results I got must be due to the silicone tin I used. She normally uses a metal bun tin, so she said next time she will try her recipe using my silicone tin. She was also surprised I only let the oil heat up for 10 minutes, as she heats it for about 30 minutes and the batter still doesn’t sizzle! (I forgot to mention that before adding the oil I did put my silicone tin on a metal tray and I put it in the oven for about 5 minutes because it was wet and I wanted to dry it, so this extra heating time could have made a difference).

She also cooks her Yorkshires at a lower temperature, so I think she will try it at a higher temperature to get the rise right. I’ll let you know the results of the experiment!

 

Update: Steve’s Mum has made Yorkshires twice using her original recipe and my silicone tins, but she has exactly the same result as when she uses her metal tins. So I think it’s definitely the recipe that she needs to change, but she’s very set in her ways and has decided to just go back to using her metal tins and not change her recipe! I am going to make these Yorkshires again to try and convince her that she needs more eggs in her recipe!

 

  • Makes: between 8-10 if using a muffin tin
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 8/450°F/230°C
  • Oven shelf: top
  • Cooking time: 20-25 minutes

 

Ingredients:

  • 140g plain flour (this is about 200ml/7fl oz)
  • 4 eggs (200ml/7fl oz)
  • 200ml milk
  • sunflower oil, for cooking

 

Directions:

  1. Heat oven to 230C/fan 210C/gas 8. Drizzle a little oil evenly into 2 x 4-hole Yorkshire pudding tins or a 12-hole non-stick muffin tin and place in the oven to heat through.
  2. To make the batter, tip the flour into a bowl and beat in the eggs until smooth. Gradually add the milk and carry on beating until the mix is completely lump-free. Season with salt and pepper. Pour the batter into a jug, then remove the hot tins from the oven. Carefully and evenly pour the batter into the holes. Place the tins back in the oven and leave undisturbed for 20-25 mins until the puddings have puffed up and browned. Serve immediately. You can now cool them and freeze for up to 1 month.

 

COOK’S NOTES:

  • I used 4 large eggs, but I think I could have got away with 3 large eggs as the volume was a bit over 200ml (I have used 3 eggs and successfully made Toad in the hole with this batter).
  • I used about 1 teaspoon of oil per hole in the tin.
  • I let the oil heat up for 10 minutes and the batter did sizzle, but 15-20 minutes would be better.
  • I filled each hole about half full with batter.
  • The Yorkshires did start to burn on top after 20 minutes but still looked a little bit underdone towards the bottom, so I moved them to the lower part of the oven and cooked for another 5 minutes.
  • I made 6 Yorkshires and with the rest of the batter I added some melted butter and made 4 pancakes (as per Barney’s pancake recipe). I stacked them on a plate with non-stick baking paper between each one, then wrapped in cling film and refrigerated overnight. I will fill these with a spicy pork filling.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin