March 4, 2010

Chicken Cacciatore

Chicken Cacciatore

MUNCH RATING: 3/5

I was talking to Steve’s sister about this dish as I was disappointed with the Giada De Laurentiis recipe I’d tried. She said she uses a Nigella Lawson recipe which uses pancetta and cannellini beans. I doubt these are traditional ingredients for this Italian dish, but they add good flavour and texture.

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:
I did adapt Nigella’s recipe by adding more herbs and I just used normal garlic as a substitute for the garlic oil. I also omitted the celery salt as I didn’t have any. I also added some spinach at the last minute for colour and because it needed to be used up!

TASTE TEST:
It’s a nice one-pot dish for an everyday meal, but it’s nothing really special so I will tweak it until I think “Wow!”. I think I will add some chilli next time as I think it would benefit from some heat.

  • Serves: 4 (or 2 very greedy people!)

Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 75g pancetta cubes
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 6 spring onions, finely sliced
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 1 teaspoon dried oregano
  • 2 bay leaves
  • 450g (approx. 4-5) chicken thighs, skinned, deboned and cut into bite size pieces
  • salt and pepper
  • ½ cup white wine
  • 400g can chopped tomatoes
  • ½ - 1 teaspoon sugar (depends on your tomatoes)
  • 400g can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed

Directions:
  1. Put the oil into a pan with the pancetta, garlic, spring onions and the herbs and fry for a couple of minutes.
  2. Add the chicken pieces, stirring well, and season with salt and pepper.
  3. Pour in the wine and let it come to a bubble before adding the tomatoes and sugar.
  4. Simmer for 10-15 minutes until the chicken is cooked and the sauce has thickened.
  5. Add the cannellini beans and when they have warmed through serve immediately.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin