March 18, 2010

Making fresh pasta – wide ribbons

Wide pasta held

 

MUNCH RATING: 5/5

 

So far I’ve used my pasta machine to make spaghetti and taglioni (thin ribbon pasta) and ravioli and tortellini (filled pasta) and you can see my efforts here.

 

For my birthday Steve’s sister cooked us a dish of meatballs and pappardelle pasta, which we really enjoyed as it was thick and wide. So we decided to have a go at making something similar using the lasagnette cutter on the pasta machine which is 12mm wide.

 

I made some pasta dough using 200g of ‘00’ flour and 2 large eggs, plus about ½ tablespoon of olive oil. I just mixed it all in a large bowl and then kneaded the dough on a board until it was smooth and elastic. Then I wrapped the dough in cling film and chilled until I was ready to cut the pasta (a couple of hours).

 

Steve helped me to roll the pasta through the machine and cut the pasta:

  1. We split the dough into 3 balls.
  2. We rolled each ball into a sheet up to the 3rd thinnest setting as we wanted it quite thick.
  3. We dusted the sheets with flour on both sides and then left them, covered loosely with a dry cloth, to dry out a little before cutting into ribbons. We’d learned from our previous attempts that you need to dust with flour quite a lot to prevent the pasta from sticking together.
  4. We cut the pasta into ribbons and then dusted with a bit more flour before laying them out onto the board, covered loosely with a dry cloth, to dry out before cooking. 

Wide Pasta on board

To cook the pasta:
  1. Bring a large pan of water to the boil and add salt.
  2. Add the fresh pasta and when the water comes back to the boil, put a timer on for 2 minutes.
  3. Drain the pasta, reserving some of the cooking water to add to the sauce.

 

Here’s the dish I created using some leftover sauce from a Beef and Ale Stew I’d made and stashed in the freezer. I’m naughty and don’t tend to label what I put in the freezer, so it ends up being “mystery food” and I thought the sauce had some beef left in it but it was just sauce. Luckily Steve’s Mum had got some steak out of the freezer so I used that!

 

Wide pasta dish

Unfortunately I slightly overcooked the steak as I added it back to the pan too early.

 

Here’s what I should have done:

  1. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a large pan. Fry the steak on both sides for a couple of minutes until the meat is rare. Remove from the pan and set aside.
  2. Add sliced mushrooms to the pan and fry until soft and golden.
  3. Add the sauce and a dash of double cream, then add the cooked pasta and blanched sugar snap peas. Mix thoroughly, season with salt and pepper and add any pasta water if necessary to create a nice sauce.
  4. Slice the steak and add to the pan just before serving.

 

It was still a really good meal and we really enjoyed our home-made fresh pasta! We’ll definitely be making it again.

 

This amount of pasta made enough for 2 servings plus seconds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin