April 10, 2010

Soda Water Pancakes

Soda Water Pancakes

 

MUNCH RATING: 4/5

I had almost a whole bottle of soda water leftover as I only used a little bit to make a tempura batter. I wanted to see if I could use it in another recipe and I found a pancake recipe by Larry Moore and under his pancake tips he said to use ½ milk and ½ soda water to make fluffier pancakes.

 

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:

I actually stuck quite faithfully to the recipe, except that I used both oil and butter to grease the pan as I like the way butter gives the pancakes a nice golden colour and the taste is better. I also reduced the salt. I’ve re-written the recipe to show the cup quantities in metric and for it to make more sense to me!

 

Soda Water Pancakes inside

 

TASTE TEST:

Well I thought the pancakes were great and Steve said he liked them too, but he thought they were a bit hard to swallow (I reckon he tried to eat too big of a bite of pancake!). I think these are just as good as the Cheat’s American Pancakes that I’ve made before. As I don’t always have soda water in the fridge, I will try Larry Moore's Basic Pancake Recipe with just milk and see how they turn out.

 

  • Makes: 9 pancakes

 

Ingredients:

  • 1 cup (140g) plain flour
  • 1 tablespoon sugar
  • 3 teaspoons baking powder
  • ½ teaspoon salt (I only used a ¼ tsp and it was enough)
  • 1 egg, beaten
  • ½ cup (112ml) milk and ½ cup (112ml) soda water [or 1 cup (225ml) milk]
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil

 

Directions:

  1. Blend the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt together in a large bowl.
  2. Blend the egg, milk, soda water and oil in a jug. Add the liquids to the dry ingredients.
  3. Whisk together until just incorporated, the batter will be slightly lumpy but that’s ok.
  4. Grease a large non-stick frying pan (I used my wok!) with oil and a tiny knob of butter and pour or ladle in pools of the batter to form 8-9cm circles.
  5. Cook the pancakes on one side over a medium heat until bubbles form on the surface, then flip them over and cook on the other side for another couple of minutes until golden brown.
  6. Serve immediately or keep warm whilst you cook the rest. We like them served with lots of golden syrup.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin