April 15, 2010

Thai Sticky Chicken – Rachel Allen

Thai Sticky Chicken

MUNCH RATING: 3/5

 

Rachel made this recipe on her ‘Home Cooking’ series and we thought it looked really good. I made it again the other day as it was Thai New Year between the 13th-15th April!

 

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:

I’ve made this twice now and made it slightly different both times:

  • The first time I used the nam pla (fish sauce) and it completely stunk out the fridge, but it did make the chicken taste good. I marinated the chicken for 2 days.
  • The second time I substituted the nam pla for ketchup manis (sweet soy sauce) as I hoped it would make the chicken sweeter and more sticky. I marinated the chicken overnight. I used the remaining marinade in some stir-fried noodles.

 

Both times I used less chicken than the recipe stated (so it would serve 2 people), but I made the right quantity of marinade so we’d have more sauce.

I don’t like coriander leaf (but funnily enough I like the seeds) so I omitted it completely both times.

 

The recipe says to ‘Remove the chicken from the fridge about 30–40 minutes before cooking to bring to room temperature.’ but I didn’t have time the second time I made it, so I nuked the chicken on high for 2 minutes, then cooked in the oven as normal.

 

TASTE TEST:

The chicken tasted much better the first time I made it. I don’t know if it was the extra marinating time or the nam pla, but the flavours (sweet, sour, salty) were just more intense. So I would definitely marinate it for 2 days and store the chicken in an airtight container to stop the stink of the nam pla taking over the fridge!

 

The recipe below is how I made it, you can find the original here.

 

  • Serves: 2
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 7/425°F/220°C

 

Ingredients:

  • 500-700g chicken, drumsticks and thighs (2-3 per person, depending on size)
  • 2 red chillies, seeds removed and chopped
  • 2.5 cm piece of root ginger, roughly chopped
  • 5 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
  • 1 stick lemongrass, outer skin discarded, roughly chopped
  • 2 tbsp soft light or dark brown sugar
  • 2 limes, juice only
  • 3 tbsp fish sauce (nam pla) or ketchup manis

 

Directions:

  1. Using a sharp knife, cut slashes in the chicken drumsticks and thighs and place
    them in an airtight box.
  2. Place the remaining ingredients in a mini chopper/food processor and blend to a rough paste, then pour over the chicken. Put the lid on the box and shake to evenly coat the chicken in the marinade.
  3. Leave to marinate in the fridge, preferably for 2 days, shaking the box occasionally to redistribute the marinade.
  4. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 7/425°F/220°C.
  5. Remove the chicken from the fridge about 30–40 minutes before cooking to bring
    to room temperature (or heat on high in the microwave for 2 minutes). Remove the chicken pieces from the marinade (reserving the marinade) and arrange in a single layer on a baking tray. Roast in the oven for 35–40 minutes or until the meat is coming away from the bone.
  6. Arrange the chicken pieces on a warm serving platter and place the reserved marinade and any juices from the baking tray into a small saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for a few minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon and scrape any sticky bits from the bottom, until thickened and sticky.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin