April 16, 2010

Triple Chocolate Cookies made healthier!

Chocolate Cookies

 

MUNCH RATING: 3/5

 

I saw this recipe in the April issue of BBC Good Food magazine and they looked really good. But Steve and I are still on a sort of health kick, so I decided to tweak the recipe and make it a bit healthier.

 

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:

First of all I reduced the amount of caster sugar (the original calls for golden but I only had normal) and I only used the milk chocolate instead of adding dark and white chocolate chips/chunks. I also only used 100g of milk chocolate instead of 140g as I only had one 100g bar!

I didn’t use an ice cream scoop or measuring spoon to form balls of the dough, I just used my hands. For the first batch I made the balls about the size of a walnut and they were quite large. The recipe didn’t state to flatten the cookies, so even after they were baked they were really thick and still quite ball shaped. So I had to flatten them whilst they were still soft and bake them for a bit longer, about 15 minutes in total.

For the second batch I made the balls a bit smaller, about the size of a cherry tomato, and I flattened them so they were about 1cm thick. I baked these for 9 minutes and they were much better.

 

TASTE TEST:

I didn’t really like the taste of these cookies, but Steve and his Mum thought they were very nice. The texture was quite good, slightly crispy/crunchy on the outside but soft and chewy on the inside.

 

The recipe below is how I made the cookies. You can find the original here.

 

  • Makes: 24
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C
  • You will need: baking sheets lined with Magic liner or non-stick baking paper

 

Ingredients:

  • 100g soft brown sugar
  • 50g caster sugar
  • 100g butter, softened
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 225g plain flour
  • 100g milk chocolate, melted

 

Directions:

  1. Heat oven to Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C. Line 1-2 baking sheets with baking parchment.
  2. Mix the sugars and butter together with a wooden spoon, then add the egg, vanilla, flour and half the melted milk chocolate and mix together.
  3. Using your hands, form balls of cookie dough about the size of a cherry tomato and place them onto the baking trays (they don’t spread much, so you can place them quite close together). Flatten the balls with your hands so they’re about 1cm thick.
  4. Bake in batches for 8-9 minutes until pale golden and still soft to touch - they will firm up as they cool. Carefully transfer to a wire rack as soon as they can be lifted up, then drizzle with the remaining melted chocolate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin