August 14, 2010

Squash potstickers

Squash potstickers

 

MUNCH RATING: 3/5

Now that I’m working full time I really don’t have a lot of time for cooking and blogging. As soon as Steve and I get in from work I cook something quick and simple and I just don’t have the inclination to faff about photographing the dish.

 

But I made these potstickers last weekend. I had some leftover butternut squash that I’d simply roasted in the oven. I mashed it up and chucked in some finely home-grown sage (all the plants are doing well – still need to update those blog posts!) and some salt and pepper. Then I filled the gyoza wrappers (these were frozen but they only took a couple of hours to thaw out on the kitchen counter) and folder them in half and sealed with water.

 

I think I’ve finally got the knack of cooking potstickers. I heated some oil in a pan and put about 5 dumplings in and cooked them for about a minute on each side until they were nicely browned. Then I added about 2 tablespoons of water and clamped on a lid and cooked for about 3 minutes (I’d cook for longer if the dumplings contained raw meat) until all the water had disappeared. Then I put them in the oven on a low heat to keep warm.

 

Technically these aren’t really potstickers as I used a non-stick pan so they didn’t stick – I just find it easier this way.

 

TASTE TEST:

I served them with some ketchup manis (Indonesian sweet soy sauce) and because the butternut squash was sweet, it was all a bit too sweet! But they did taste nice, we just prefer meaty dumplings!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin