MUNCH RATING: 3/5
Now that Steve has started a new job I thought I’d make him some snack bars to munch on for when he gets peckish. They’re a healthier snack than chocolate as they’ve got porridge oats, fresh apple and dried apricots in them – it’s the only way I can get him to eat fruit! For some reason they tasted of coconut, which is weird but nice, even though I don’t like coconut!
You could use lots of different dried fruit or maybe add some nuts. I’m going to try spreading a layer of jam in the middle next time!
- Makes: 10 bars
- Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C
- You will need: 8x8 inch square tin, lined with greaseproof paper
- 150g (1 ¼ cups) self raising flour
- 100g (½ cup) caster sugar
- 180g (2 cups) porridge oats
- 1 eating apple, cut into very small pieces
- 75g (½ cup) dried apricots, cut into small pieces
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 150g butter
- 1 Tablespoon golden syrup
- Sieve the flour into a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar, oats, apple, apricots and cinnamon into the bowl and mix.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan over low heat. Once melted, add the golden syrup and mix well. Remove from the heat.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ones and give it a good stir.
- Pour the mixture into the tin and press it down really well to make sure it binds (it’s easiest to use your hands).
- Bake in the upper part of the oven at Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C for approx 20 - 25 minutes (until golden brown).
- When you remove them from the oven, immediately cut into bars.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before removing the bars from the tin.
COOK'S NOTES:
They keep really well if kept in an airtight box.
0 comments:
Post a Comment