MUNCH RATING: 2/5
A few months ago Steve and I went to a brilliant Thai restaurant near Richmond Park called Ayudhya. We had Monkfish in a tamarind sauce and it was called Pla Rad Prik. It was really tasty and the fish was beautifully cooked, but it was really spicy! I think traditionally the Thai fry a whole fish, but in the restaurant they fried pieces of monkfish.
Steve’s Mum bought us some tuna whilst in Tesco’s this week and I had to think of a good way to use it up. I’m not a big fan of tuna, so I thought this spicy tamarind sauce would be a good way to mask the tuna taste!
Well the sauce was good, but the tuna wasn’t. It just tasted so fishy and it put me off from eating it, so I left most of it. I will definitely make the sauce again, but I will use less chilli as it was a little bit too hot for us, even though I used only 1 chilli instead of the 3 that the recipe suggested!
Ingredients:
- Any meaty fish, cut into chunks
- Cornflour to coat the fish
- 1 shallot, coarsely chopped (I used ½ red onion sliced as that’s what I had in the fridge!)
- 2 cloves garlic, coarsely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon tamarind
- 3 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 Tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 Tablespoon dark soy sauce
- 1 red or yellow chilli, sliced
Directions for the sauce:
- Heat a teaspoon of oil in a small saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the garlic, onion and chilli and fry until the onion is soft.
- Then add tamarind, sugar, fish sauce and soy sauce and about 100ml of water.
- Mix well and let boil to reduce down to a thick syrup.
Directions for the fish:
- In a dish, coat the chunks of fish in the cornflour.
- Heat 2 Tablespoons of oil in a wok or large frying pan, then fry the fish for about 5 minutes until golden brown.
- When cooked, pour the sauce on top of the fish and garnish with spring onion brushes.
- Serve immediately with steamed rice.
COOK’S NOTES:
- To make the spring onion brushes: take a spring onion and cut off most of the green part and discard, leaving about a finger length of the white part. Carefully trim off the root. From the greenest end of the spring onion, cut about halfway along the length a few times to make strips. Place the spring onions into a bowl of cold water and place in the fridge for about 10 minutes to make the strips curl. Lift from water and drain before using as a garnish.
0 comments:
Post a Comment