October 24, 2008

Potato Galette & Sweetcorn Succotash

Galette & Succotash

MUNCH RATING: 3/5

I bought some frozen ready-marinated Mahi-Mahi (similar to swordfish) from the supermarket so all I had to do was pop it in the oven to cook. This meant I could turn all my attention to the side dishes.

I knew I wanted to serve potatoes with the fish but I wanted to try something new. I knew I would already have the oven on to cook the fish so that narrowed down my cooking method and I knew I wanted to achieve something with a crispy texture to counter-balance the fish. Somehow the idea of a Potato Galette came into my head even though I've never made it before. After a quick search on Google I discovered there are a variety of ways to make this dish, so I went with what sounded best.

I've been wanting to make Sweetcorn Succotash ever since we went to The Cheesecake Factory (TCF) and I tried it for the first time. To be honest, before that meal I didn't know Succotash was an actual dish, I just thought it was part of a catchphrase by Sylvester The Cat! I couldn't find a definitive recipe on Google, it seems to be one of those dishes which is open to interpretation, so I made up my own recipe based on what I remembered of my TCF experience.

Potato Galette

POTATO GALETTE

  • Serves 2
  • Oven Temperature: Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C
  • Cooking Time: 25 minutes
  • You will need: A mandolin or a box grater, small baking pan
Ingredients:
  • 2 to 3 white potatoes (Russet or Maris Piper are good for this), peeled
  • 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
  • Salt & Pepper
  • Some Italian seasoning or other type of mixed seasoning (optional)
  • 2 handfuls of grated cheese (I used a bag of Quattro Formaggio which had Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina and Mild Provolone)
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C.
  2. Slice your potatoes as thinly as possible, preferably with a mandolin. But if you haven't got one then I found that the wide slicing blade on a box grater works really well. To make it easier, lay the grater flat on a board with the slicing blade facing upwards and then push the potato away from you as you slice them.
  3. Put the tablespoon of olive oil in a large bowl and add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Add the sliced potatoes and toss in the olive oil until evenly coated.
  4. Starting from the middle, arrange your potatoes in the dish so that they are overlapping and the bottom is completely covered.
  5. Sprinkle on half of the cheese.
  6. Arrange another layer of potatoes on top and then sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.
  7. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the potatoes feel tender when you insert a fork.
  8. Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes (perfect timing for me to cook the fish which takes 12 minutes!)

For convenience I used the 9" round silicone pan that I use to bake cakes. It gave a good result and was very easy to clean afterwards, however next time I would put a disc of foil at the bottom to give it a crispier bottom. Alternatively you could use a metal cake tin or simply arrange your potatoes in a circle shape on a metal baking sheet.
Of course you can use a much smaller dish but you will have more layers and your Galette is going to be much thicker, therefore it may take twice as long to cook.

SWEETCORN SUCCOTASH

  • Serves 2
  • Preparation time: 10 minutes
  • Cooking Time: 15 minutes
  • You will need: A medium saucepan
Ingredients:
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1/2 red onion, finely diced
  • 1 clove garlic, crushed, grated or finely chopped
  • 1/2 red pepper (bell pepper), diced
  • Approx. 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
  • 1 432g/15.25oz tin whole kernel sweetcorn, drained
  • 1/3 to 1/2 cup chicken stock
Directions:
  1. Heat the oil in your saucepan, add the onion and gently saute until softened and slightly golden.
  2. Add the garlic and cook gently for another minute.
  3. Add the red pepper and cook until softened.
  4. Add the chilli flakes and then stir in the sweetcorn.
  5. Add the chicken stock and simmer until it has reduced and evaporated away.
  6. It is now ready to serve.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin