MUNCH RATING: 4/5
I made this cake up and I call it Triple Lemon Cake as there is lemon juice and lemon curd in the sponge mixture and lemon icing drizzled on top, so it’s nice and zingy! It’s quite similar to the Swirly Lemon Drizzle Fingers I made, except this sponge is super light and fluffy, whereas that one had more of a crunchy texture.
- You will need: loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper
- Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C
- Oven shelf: middle
- 175g / 6oz butter
- 175g / 6oz caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 175g / 6oz self-raising flour, sifted
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (juice from 1 lemon)
- 5-6 teaspoons lemon curd (you can leave this out if you don’t have any)
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
- In a bowl beat together the butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix in thoroughly until well incorporated. (You can add a tablespoon of flour with the each egg to make it easier to mix them in).
- Add the flour, vanilla extract and the lemon juice and mix well. (Alternatively you can put everything into a food processor in the above order).
- Tip the cake mixture into the loaf tin, then drop little blobs of the lemon curd on top. Using a chopstick or skewer, swirl the lemon curd through the cake mixture.
- Bake in the oven for 30-35 minutes on the middle shelf until a skewer inserted comes out clean. If it’s not quite brown on the top, you can move the cake to the top shelf for about 5 minutes.
- Allow the cake to cool on a wire rack.
- 100g / 3.5oz icing sugar, sifted
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice (juice from ½ a lemon)
- Mix together the icing sugar and lemon juice until you have a thick but running paste (It should fall off the spoon in a steady stream. You may need to add more icing sugar to thicken or some water to loosen).
- Pour the icing over the cake and let it drizzle down the edges.
- Leave to set for about 10 minutes before serving.