November 17, 2009

Banana Cake

Banana Cake

 

MUNCH RATING: 3/5

 

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE: 

I wanted to make an oil-based Banana Cake, so I found a recipe online and I added my own tweaks. First of all, I used a loaf tin instead of a 7-inch round tin. Secondly, I added some chopped walnuts to add texture. Thirdly, I added some freshly grated nutmeg and some ground cinnamon for added flavour.

 

TASTE TEST:

The cake turned out OK, but it wasn’t very sweet (4 Tablespoons of sugar isn’t much) and it didn’t have a very strong banana flavour, despite the bananas being really ripe. I personally don’t like Banana Cake to have a strong banana taste so this suited me, but I would like it to be sweeter. We liked the walnuts, but I couldn't really taste the ground spices, so I would increase the amount I used next time. Overall it was quite a bland cake, but the texture was quite nice. It was much lighter than some Banana Cakes we’ve had in the past.

Steve and his Mum had it with butter on (because they call it Banana Bread and therefore butter is a necessity!) and Steve tried a bit toasted and he said it brought out the flavour a bit more.

 

The recipe says to grease and line your tin with baking parchment, but I just used my new Cake Release from Lakeland and the cake came out perfectly.

 

I now have 2 other Banana Cake recipes to try: one by Andi Peters which is in the Show Guide from BBC Good Food Show/MasterChef Live, and one in The Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook. They both use butter instead of oil, so it will be interesting to see how they turn out.

Banana Cake-1

 

  • Serves: 8
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C
  • Oven shelf: middle
  • You will need: a 18cm (7-inch) round deep cake tin or a loaf tin (mine was 23 x 12.5 x 6cm)

 

Ingredients:

  • 2 large, ripe bananas, about 400g in total, weighed with
    their skins on
  • 250g self-raising flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 4 Tablespoons light muscovado sugar
  • a few grates of fresh nutmeg (about ¼ teaspoon of ground)
  • 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon (will try adding more)
  • 6 Tablespoons sunflower oil
  • 6 Tablespoons semi-skimmed milk
  • 2 large eggs
  • 50g walnuts, chopped

 

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
  2. Grease your tin (and line the bottom with baking parchment).
  3. Peel the bananas, then mash with a fork.
  4. Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and stir
    in the sugar, grated nutmeg and ground cinnamon.
  5. Whisk together the oil, milk and eggs and
    fold into the flour mixture.
  6. Gently fold in the walnuts and mashed bananas until just incorporated – don’t over-mix or the cake will be tough.
  7. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 50–55 minutes or until the banana cake is well risen and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
  8. Leave to cool for 15 minutes, then loosen the edge of the cake with a knife and turn it out onto a wire rack to cool completely.

 

COOK’S NOTES:

  • The banana cake can be kept in an airtight tin for up to 4 days.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin