November 6, 2009

Profiteroles (Choux Pastry)

Profiteroles

 

MUNCH RATING: 4/5

 

After watching the episode of Good Eats called ‘Choux Shine’ I decided to follow Alton Brown’s advice of using bread flour when making choux pastry. I didn’t use his recipe though, I just used bread flour instead of plain flour in a recipe I already had, because his recipe makes 48 profiteroles and I didn’t want that many. I’m not sure the bread flour makes a huge difference, but they did puff up in the oven and didn’t deflate when I took them out, which is the problem that some people have.

 

Profiteroles 1

 

I’m not a huge fan of cream, so I filled them with ice cream instead. The chocolate sauce is really gorgeous and so easy to make. This quantity of sauce will be enough for 6-8 people, so I just put the remainder in the fridge where it can stay for 3 days.

 

I will try Alton’s recipe next time, as this recipe only makes 12 and they went down very well, so I’m sure that more will be needed for next time!

 

  • Makes: 12 profiteroles
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 7/425°F/220°C then reduce to Gas mark 5/375°F/190°C
  • You will need: a deep saucepan, a baking sheet lined with parchment or Magic Non-Stick Liner.

 

Ingredients:

FOR THE CHOUX PASTRY
  • 25g butter
  • 150ml water
  • 50g plain or bread flour
  • 1 large egg yolk
  • 1 egg, beaten
FOR THE CHOCOLATE SAUCE
  • 100g plain chocolate (I used Asda Value)
  • 150ml double cream
  • 2 Tablespoons golden syrup
FOR THE FILLING
  • Vanilla ice cream (I used Carte D'Or)

 

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 7/425°F/220°C.
  2. Sift the flour onto a piece of greaseproof paper.
  3. Put the butter and water into a deep saucepan and heat until the butter has melted. Bring to the boil.
  4. Then add all the flour at once and quickly lift off the heat, beating hard with a wooden spoon until you get a smooth, thick paste that comes away from the sides of the saucepan (about 30-40 seconds). If necessary replace the pan over the heat and beat for a few minutes.
  5. With the pan off the heat, add the egg yolk and beat really well until it is incorporated (it might seem like it has curdled and won’t mix in, but persevere!), then add the beaten egg a little at a time (you might not need it all) beating continuously. The mixture should be thick and shiny and be able to stand up on its own.
  6. Place the choux pastry into a piping bag with a 1cm plain nozzle and pipe blobs in a circular motion onto the lined baking sheet.
  7. Bake for 10 minutes at Gas mark 7/425°F/220°C, then reduce to Gas mark 5/375°F/190°C for 20 minutes, until they are golden brown and feel dry to the touch.
  8. Remove from the oven, then use a skewer to poke a hole in the bottom of each one to allow the steam to escape and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
  9. Split the profiteroles in half, then sandwich the halves together with a generous teaspoon of vanilla ice cream.
  10. To make the sauce: Place the chocolate, double cream and golden syrup in a small saucepan and gently heat until the chocolate has melted and the sauce is smooth and glossy. Pour over the profiteroles.

 

COOK’S NOTES:

  • I recommend watching Alton’s ‘Choux Shine’ episode to get a really good idea of how to make choux pastry, as he shows you what the texture should be like. It’s also quite an amusing episode!
  • Since my piping bag busted, I used a plastic food bag instead (like Alton suggests) and it worked really well.
  • I made the pastry by hand, which was fine, but when I try Alton’s recipe I will use a mixer because it is a much bigger quantity and it will be easier to incorporate all those eggs!

Profiteroles 2

‘Choux Shine’ episode Part 1

‘Choux Shine’ episode Part 2

 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin