I have halved the quantities in this recipe by Sue Lawrence, as her original quantities makes a huge cake and since this is quite a rich and filling cake, a small piece is quite sufficient!The polenta gives the cake a lovely crunchy topping and quite a unique flavour.
I have only ever tried this recipe with fresh berries but I'm sure frozen ones would work just as well. The combination of blueberries and raspberries is excellent, but when I recently made this I didn't have any raspberries because they were too expensive, so I substituted them for 1 gala apple cut into small dice and it gave a good result.
This is great served with the blueberry syrup (see pancakes).
- Oven shelf position: upper-middle
- Oven temperature: pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C/Gas mark 4
- Baking time: 50 minutes to 1 hour
- You will also need a 20cm/8in springform cake tin, lightly buttered
Ingredients
100g Polenta - plus 1 teaspoon
250g Self raising flour, sifted
160g Golden caster sugar
Grated zest 1 unwaxed lemon (optional)
160g Cold unsalted butter, diced
1 Large free-range egg, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon lemon juice (optional)
125g Blueberries
125g Raspberries
12g Demerara sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4
- Place the 100g of polenta, the flour and sugar in a large food processor and process for a few seconds. Add the lemon zest and butter and process again until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs (alternatively rub the butter into the dry ingredients by hand as if making a crumble mixture)
- Add the beaten egg and lemon juice then process using the pulse button, or mix, very briefly, until just combined.
- Tip about two-thirds of the mixture into the prepared tin, pressing down all over.
- Sprinkle the teaspoon of polenta over the base, then scatter over the blueberries and raspberries (or whatever fruit you're using)
- Sprinkle the demerara sugar over the top, then crumble the remaining cake mixture over to cover. Press down very lightly, then bake in the preheated oven for 50 minutes to 1 hour.
- Cool on a wire rack, then remove from the tin.
0 comments:
Post a Comment