The first time I made Roast Dinner in the apartment it was a bit stressful because we only have 1 shelf in the oven, so I had to juggle a few different baking trays to get everything to be ready at the same time. But I now have this great new method which is so much easier and I can sit back and relax whilst it cooks away in the hotbox.
Also, here is a fantastic recipe for Roasted Broccoli (yes really!) by Alton Brown.
- Serves 2
- Oven temperature: Gas 6/200C/400F
- You will need: Large baking dish/tray about 13 x 9 inches and a baking sheet
- Prep time: 10-15 minutes
- Cooking time: 45-50 minutes plus 8-10 minutes for the broccoli
- 2 large Chicken Thighs, bone in and skin on
- 2 large carrots, peeled and chopped into sticks
- 2 or 3 large floury potatoes, peeled and cut into walnut-sized pieces (Russets or Maris Pipers are good)
- 5 or 6 garlic cloves, peeled and slightly smashed
- Salt and pepper
- Herbs & spices of your choice (I used a ready-made Italian Seasoning mix grinder)
- Some olive or vegetable oil
- 2 small heads of broccoli, florets cut into bitesize pieces and stalks cut into batons
- A large handful of grated cheese (I used Monterey)
Directions:
- Preheat oven to Gas 6/200C/400F.
- Season the chicken and arrange in the baking dish skin side up.
- Mix the oil and your seasoning in a large bowl, add the potatoes and thoroughly coat. Add the potatoes to the baking dish in their own section. Do the same for the carrots.
- Evenly distribute the garlic around the chicken, potatoes and carrots.
- Put the dish in the hot oven and roast for 45-50 minutes, occasionally turning the potatoes and carrots, until the chicken is completely cooked. About halfway through cooking you might have a pool of oil in the dish as the chicken skin renders the fat, so collect this and save it to use on the broccoli.
- Remove from the oven and cover with foil to keep warm.
- Now crank up the oven to Gas 7/220C/425F to cook the broccoli.
- Place the broccoli into a mixing bowl and toss with your reserved oil from the baking dish (or drizzle with some olive oil and seasoning) and then spread the broccoli out on a baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until just tender. (Whilst this is cooking you can make your gravy). Sprinkle the cheese on the broccoli and melt under the grill/broiler (I usually turn this on so I can make the chicken skin and roast potatoes even crispier!).
Serve up the garlic! Even though it has imparted a lot of flavour to the chicken, carrots and potatoes during cooking, it has a lovely flavour when eaten whole and isn't too strong - trust me I ate some thinking it was potato and was pleasantly surprised!
0 comments:
Post a Comment