MUNCH RATING: 3/5
I bought some frozen ready-marinated Mahi-Mahi (similar to swordfish) from the supermarket so all I had to do was pop it in the oven to cook. This meant I could turn all my attention to the side dishes.
I knew I wanted to serve potatoes with the fish but I wanted to try something new. I knew I would already have the oven on to cook the fish so that narrowed down my cooking method and I knew I wanted to achieve something with a crispy texture to counter-balance the fish. Somehow the idea of a Potato Galette came into my head even though I've never made it before. After a quick search on Google I discovered there are a variety of ways to make this dish, so I went with what sounded best.
I've been wanting to make Sweetcorn Succotash ever since we went to The Cheesecake Factory (TCF) and I tried it for the first time. To be honest, before that meal I didn't know Succotash was an actual dish, I just thought it was part of a catchphrase by Sylvester The Cat! I couldn't find a definitive recipe on Google, it seems to be one of those dishes which is open to interpretation, so I made up my own recipe based on what I remembered of my TCF experience.
POTATO GALETTE
- Serves 2
- Oven Temperature: Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C
- Cooking Time: 25 minutes
- You will need: A mandolin or a box grater, small baking pan
- 2 to 3 white potatoes (Russet or Maris Piper are good for this), peeled
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- Some Italian seasoning or other type of mixed seasoning (optional)
- 2 handfuls of grated cheese (I used a bag of Quattro Formaggio which had Parmesan, Asiago, Fontina and Mild Provolone)
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C.
- Slice your potatoes as thinly as possible, preferably with a mandolin. But if you haven't got one then I found that the wide slicing blade on a box grater works really well. To make it easier, lay the grater flat on a board with the slicing blade facing upwards and then push the potato away from you as you slice them.
- Put the tablespoon of olive oil in a large bowl and add salt, pepper and Italian seasoning. Add the sliced potatoes and toss in the olive oil until evenly coated.
- Starting from the middle, arrange your potatoes in the dish so that they are overlapping and the bottom is completely covered.
- Sprinkle on half of the cheese.
- Arrange another layer of potatoes on top and then sprinkle on the rest of the cheese.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes or until the potatoes feel tender when you insert a fork.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool for 10-15 minutes (perfect timing for me to cook the fish which takes 12 minutes!)
For convenience I used the 9" round silicone pan that I use to bake cakes. It gave a good result and was very easy to clean afterwards, however next time I would put a disc of foil at the bottom to give it a crispier bottom. Alternatively you could use a metal cake tin or simply arrange your potatoes in a circle shape on a metal baking sheet.
Of course you can use a much smaller dish but you will have more layers and your Galette is going to be much thicker, therefore it may take twice as long to cook.
SWEETCORN SUCCOTASH
- Serves 2
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking Time: 15 minutes
- You will need: A medium saucepan
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed, grated or finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper (bell pepper), diced
- Approx. 1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
- 1 432g/15.25oz tin whole kernel sweetcorn, drained
- 1/3 to 1/2 cup chicken stock
- Heat the oil in your saucepan, add the onion and gently saute until softened and slightly golden.
- Add the garlic and cook gently for another minute.
- Add the red pepper and cook until softened.
- Add the chilli flakes and then stir in the sweetcorn.
- Add the chicken stock and simmer until it has reduced and evaporated away.
- It is now ready to serve.
0 comments:
Post a Comment