MUNCH RATING: 2/5
Steve’s Mum bought a load of apricots from the market in Dorking and I knew that they wouldn’t get eaten unless they were put into a cake! So I found this recipe to use up all of the apricots and even though we weren’t too keen on the fruit as they were a bit sour, we loved the cake part! So next time I’ll use a different fruit as the sponge was lovely and light and was lovely with custard!
- Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C
- Oven shelf: upper-middle
- You will need: 8 or 9 inch shallow loose bottomed tin, lightly greased
Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoon clear honey
- 450g (1lb) apricots, peeled, halved and pitted*
- 110g (4oz) butter, softened (I used Stork)
- 125g (4½ oz) caster sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 110g (4oz) self raising flour
- 100g (3½ oz) ground almonds
Directions:
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
- Spread the honey over the base of the tin.
- Arrange the apricot halves over the base of the tin cut side down.
- Put the butter and sugar into a food processor and whizz together until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs with a tablespoon of flour and whizz to combine, then add the rest of the flour and the ground almonds.
- Spoon the mixture into the cake tin and spread it out to cover the fruit.
- Bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes until golden brown and a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave to cool in the tin for about 10 minutes, then run a knife around the edge to loosen the edges. Place a large plate on top of the tin, invert quickly and lift the tin away.
* The recipe didn’t specify the apricots should be peeled, but I just thought it would be nicer without the skins! I just treated them like tomatoes, by cutting a cross on the bottom of the fruit and pouring boiling water over them, then plunging them into cold water. The skins came off really easily.
0 comments:
Post a Comment