November 19, 2008

Chewy Cocoa Brownie Cupcakes

Brownie cupcake

MUNCH RATING: 5/5

With just one week left in San Francisco and lots of baking ingredients to use up, I was on the hunt for a recipe that could help empty the cupboards.

I had an almost full pack of Nestle Toll House Cocoa and on the back was this recipe. I was a bit dubious about making the brownies as I've never had much success in the past - they've always been either too dry or undercooked with no hope of salvation.

But these are an absolute winner! The top is slightly crisp and chewy and the inside is soft and moist.

The recipe called for a 13x9 inch baking pan (which will make 2 dozen brownies) but I didn't have this, so I made cupcakes instead. I used normal sized paper fairy-cake cases and put them in my silicone muffin pan.

They are quite deep, therefore I needed to cook them for the full 25 minutes. When I inserted the toothpick it came out very sticky, but as they cooled down they continued to cook with the residual heat and the end result was perfect.

  • Makes: about a dozen cupcakes
  • Oven temperature: Gas Mark 4/350°F/180°C
  • You will need: muffin/cake pan lined with paper cases*

Ingredients:

  • 1 2/3 cups (330g/11.5oz) granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks or 180g/6oz) butter or margarine, melted
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/3 cups (160g/5.5oz) all purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup (75g/2.5oz) Nestle Toll House baking cocoa
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (110g/4oz) chopped nuts (optional)

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/350°F/180°C
  2. Place paper cases in muffin tin.
  3. Combine sugar, butter and water in a large bowl. Stir in eggs and vanilla extract.
  4. Combine flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl. Stir into sugar mixture.
  5. Stir in nuts if using.
  6. Fill paper cases to the top, they don't rise that much so won't overflow.
  7. Bake for 18-25 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in the centre comes out slightly sticky.
  8. Cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.

* Because I used a silicone pan which is really flexible but not very stable, I put it on a baking sheet when I put it in the oven (just thought this might affect the cooking so thought I'd mention it).

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin