August 29, 2010

Chocolate fudge brownies with Chocolate Drizzle

Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Drizzle

MUNCH RATING: 5/5

 

Even though I thought I’d found the perfect brownie recipe with my Best Ever Chocolate Brownies recipe, I still like to try new recipes to see if there is one better.

 

Steve’s Mum picked me up a recipe card from Tesco’s for their Dark Chocolate Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Drizzle and it looked extremely good. I liked the fact it contained less sugar (I always add less than the recipes state anyway) and a bit more flour. Even though I like brownies to be squidgy, they can sometimes be too squidgy and almost runny.

 

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:

As I stated, I used less sugar – 200g instead of 225g – and I used a mixture of half soft brown sugar and half caster sugar.

 

I didn’t have enough dark chocolate, so I substituted some with milk chocolate, which I think gives a good balance anyway. The milk chocolate was used for the chunks mixed in at the end and also for the chocolate drizzle. I didn’t need to add any water to the drizzle as it was runny enough.

 

I used a different sized tin than what the recipe stated. I used a 9-inch square metal disposable box which are the perfect size for baking brownies as they’re quite deep. I lined the tin first with a strip of non-stick baking paper to make the brownies easier to remove.

 

TASTE TEST:

Everyone loved these brownies and Steve’s Mum said they were the best she’d ever tasted! So I think I’ll be using this recipe from now on!

 

I think I could reduce the sugar even more next time, especially as I used part milk chocolate which is quite sweet anyway.

 

I’ve written the recipe as I made it – you can find the original on the Tesco website.

 

    • Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C
    • Oven shelf: middle
    • You will need: square 9-inch tin, lined with non-stick baking paper

 

Ingredients:

For the brownies

  • 175g (6oz) plain chocolate, broken into pieces
  • 140g (5oz) butter, cut into pieces
  • 3 large eggs
  • 100g (4oz) caster sugar
  • 100g (4oz) soft brown sugar
  • 100g (4oz) plain flour
  • 1tsp baking powder
  • 1tbsp cocoa powder
  • 50g (2oz) milk chocolate, chopped into little chunks
 

For the chocolate drizzle icing

  • 25g (1oz) milk chocolate, broken into pieces
  • 2tbsp double cream
  • ½ tsp golden caster sugar

 

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C. Line a 9-inc square tin with non-stick baking paper.
  2. For the brownies: Place the dark chocolate into a small heavy-based pan with the butter. Melt over a low heat, stirring occasionally. Remove from the heat and leave to cool.
  3. When the chocolate has cooled, whisk the eggs and sugar together in a large bowl using an electric hand mixer, until thick, pale, fluffy and almost doubled in volume. Pour in the cooled chocolate, then gently fold in. Sift over the flour, baking powder and cocoa and gently fold in. Carefully stir in the chopped milk chocolate, without over-mixing.
  4. Pour the mixture into the lined tin and lightly spread it into all the corners. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until the middle is just set and the top is slightly crusty. (If still wobbly in the centre, leave a bit longer.) Remove and leave until completely cold before removing from the tin.
  5. For the icing: Put the chocolate into a small heavy-based pan with the cream and sugar. Melt over a low heat very briefly, just until the chocolate starts to melt, removing it before it boils. Drizzle over the brownies (I found using a whisk was the best way to get a random drizzle) then, when set, cut into 16 squares.

 

Cook's Tip

Leave the brownies in the tin until completely cold, as they'll crack if turned out too early.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin