MUNCH RATING: 5/5
CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:
I used the Rachel Allen recipe for Garlic Layered Potatoes from her book Rachel’s Favourite Food for Friends (which Steve bought for me many moons ago and I am sorry to say that I haven’t used very much!) for the ingredients and quantities, but I changed the method. This was mainly because I wanted to speed things up and also because I thought her way required too much faffing about with lots of layering of the potatoes and dotting with the garlic and butter. My way is a lot more slap dash, but at least you won’t want to commit hari-kiri before you’ve even put it in the oven and it still tastes great.
Even though I was only cooking for Steve and myself, I made a full quantity which should serve 5-6 people because I love potatoes and I knew that any leftovers would be just as good reheated. We ate half of the whole thing with steak and asparagus and the other half with a chicken, mushroom and pea dish that I made up (a recipe might get posted if I can remember the quantities!).
The photo above is of the reheated half and as you can see it really is a dish that doesn’t suffer from a night in the chiller. 30 minutes at Gas 6 should do the trick and keep it covered with foil if it is already quite brown from its first visit to the oven.
- Serves: 5-6 (but more realistically 4 greedy people)
- Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C
- You will need: a shallow wide gratin/ovenproof dish (I used a 10x10 inch square dish)
Ingredients:
- 250ml (8¾ fl.oz) double cream
- 2 large cloves of garlic, crushed
- 25g (1oz) butter
- salt and pepper
- 800g (1¾ lb) peeled potatoes (weigh when peeled), sliced ½cm (¼ inch) thick
- 2 small pinches of freshly ground nutmeg (I left this out)
- 40g (1½ oz) finely grated Parmesan Cheese (I used Twineham Grange)
Directions
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
- Grease your ovenproof dish liberally with butter.
- Place your cream, butter, garlic and salt and pepper in a medium saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add the potatoes and heat for a few minutes until the potatoes have absorbed some of the cream.
- Pour the potatoes into your ovenproof dish (arranging the top layer as neatly as possible!), then scatter the Parmesan over the top.
- Cover with tin foil and place in the oven for 1 hour, removing the foil after 30 minutes. The potatoes are done when you can easily stick a knife into them and the top should be golden brown.
COOK’S NOTES:
- Use a mandoline or V slicer to slice the potatoes to an even thickness. Go and look in the back of your cupboards, I’m sure you have one gathering dust!
- Use a dish that is big enough so that the potatoes are only about 3 layers deep, otherwise it will take longer to cook.
0 comments:
Post a Comment