MUNCH RATING: 5/5
I had quite a bit of frosting leftover from when I made my Mixed Berry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting so I thought I’d make some simple cupcakes to use it up. I got the recipe from a relatively new book I bought: Cupcakes by Sue McMahon. It is just a basic cupcake recipe, nothing fancy, but sometimes you should just stick to simple things. I have changed the method in her recipe because this is how I’ve always made fairy cakes and I know it works!
I only managed to ice 7 out of 12 cupcakes, but I did use a large star shaped nozzle and I only had about half of the original frosting recipe leftover.
- Makes: 12 cupcakes
- Oven temperature: Gas mark 5/375°F/190°C
- You will need: 12 hole bun tray lined with paper cases
Ingredients:
- 125g butter, softened (I used Stork)
- 125g caster sugar
- 2 eggs (Sue’s book says to use medium but I used large)
- 125g self raising flour, sifted
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract (this is my addition to the recipe!)
Directions:
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 5/375°F/190°C.
- Beat together the butter and sugar in a bowl using an electric mixer until light and fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, with a Tablespoon of flour with each egg (to prevent curdling) and mix until fully incorporated.
- Using a spatula or large metal spoon, fold in the rest of the flour, the milk and vanilla extract and gently mix until the mixture is smooth.
- Divide the mixture between the paper cases and level off.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 12-15 minutes until the cakes have risen and are just firm to the touch.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before icing them.
- Make sure your butter and eggs are at room temperature to prevent the mixture from curdling.
- Once your flour is incorporated, don’t keep mixing for too long or you will stretch the gluten and your cakes will be tough.
- I used a Gas oven and I turned my tray around after half the cooking time had elapsed so that they were evenly browned.
- Mini cupcakes will take between 10-12 minutes.
0 comments:
Post a Comment