October 25, 2009

Mixed Berry Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting

Mixed berry cake with cream cheese frosting

MUNCH RATING: 5/5

I had some leftover sour cream from making Beef Stroganoff, so I found a cake recipe in my BBC Good Food 101 Cake Bakes book that had sour cream as one of the ingredients. The original recipe was Blueberry Soured Cream Cake, but I didn’t have any blueberries, so I used a pack of frozen Black Forest Fruits from Tesco. The pack contains 4 different fruits, but I only used the blackberries and blackcurrants and not the cherries and red grapes because I didn’t think they would work very well in the cake.

For the frosting I used a recipe by Leila Lindholm from her basic cupcake recipe. The frosting was yellow because of the butter and I didn’t like the way it looked. I didn’t want to add food colouring to change the colour. Then I remembered I’d left the unused cherries and grapes in the fridge and they’d defrosted and left a lovely pool of juice. So I added about a Tablespoon of the juice to the frosting and it turned it a lovely pink colour and added a great fruity flavour to it as well. The recipe for the frosting makes quite a lot, I only used about half of it and have kept the rest in the fridge. I guess I will just have to make some cupcakes to use it up!

I’m really pleased how the cake turned out as I’d never made it before and the frosting was a bit of a gamble (the last time I made a cream cheese frosting was for Rachel Allen’s Carrot Cake and it wasn’t all that well received!).

Unfortunately the fruit did sink to the bottom of the cake, even though I’d tossed it in some flour before mixing it in. I think it’s because the fruit was frozen and also because the cake batter is quite a runny consistency, so it didn’t have the body to suspend the fruit. It still tasted delicious though, as the cake is really moist from the sour cream. The fruit is lovely as it is slightly tangy and is offset by the sweet frosting.

It was lovely to come back from a walk down the park with Steve and eat this cake with a nice cup of tea!

  • Serves: 10
  • You will need: a 9 inch (22cm) round cake tin
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C

Ingredients:
  • 175g soft butter
  • 175g soft brown sugar
  • 3 large eggs
  • 225g self-raising flour, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 4 Tablespoons soured cream
  • Blackberries and Blackcurrants taken from a frozen 350g pack of Tesco Black Forest Fruits

Cream Cheese Frosting Ingredients:
  • 60g butter, softened
  • 100g cream cheese (I used Tesco Value)
  • 300g icing sugar, sifted
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla sugar
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice
  • approx. 1 Tablespoon of juice from leftover defrosted fruits

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C and butter and line the base of your round cake tin with non-stick baking paper or reusable Magic Non-Stick Liner.
  2. Put the butter, sugar, eggs, flour, baking powder and vanilla extract into a food processor and whizz for 2-3 minutes until lighter in colour and well combined. Fold in the soured cream and the blackberries and blackcurrants.
  3. Tip the mixture into the tin and spread it level. Bake for 50-55 minutes until it is risen, feels firm to the touch and springs back when lightly pressed.
  4. Cool for 10 minutes, then take out of the tin and leave to finish cooling on a wire rack.
  5. To make the frosting: in a large bowl beat the butter, cream cheese, icing sugar, vanilla sugar and lemon juice until smooth and creamy. Add the fruit juice and mix in well. Spread over the top of the cooled cake (don't be impatient as the frosting will melt if the cake is too warm).

COOK’S NOTES:
  • Can be frozen un-iced.
  • The cake will keep in the fridge for a couple of days. Bring it to room temperature for about an hour before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin