October 23, 2009

Mini Bakewell Tarts

Mini bakewell tarts

MUNCH RATING: 4/5

I had about half the frangipane filling from my French Apple Tarts leftover, so I thought I’d experiment a little bit and try making these Bakewell Tarts. I have no idea what the traditional recipe is as there seems to be no consensus, but this is my version and I think it works well. The almond flavour is very mild, which suits me as I don’t really like almonds all that much, especially slivered almonds! But you could add those on top or you could add some almond essence to the filling mixture.

They were really easy to make and tasted delicious! Steve asked me to put some icing on his ones, so I just made up a simple glace icing and spread it over the top. I prefer them without icing as it’s a bit too sweet for me.
Unfortunately as this was an experiment I don’t have exact quantities to give you.

Rough Directions (!):
  1. Roll out your Pâte Brisée/Sweet Shortcrust pastry to about 3mm thick, cut out circles and line shallow bun tins. Chill for at least 30 minutes.
  2. Blind bake for 10-15 minutes at Gas mark 5/375°F/190°C until light golden brown.
  3. Spread about 1 teaspoon of strawberry or raspberry jam over the bottom of each tart.
  4. Spread about 2 teaspoons of the frangipane filling over the jam. I used mine straight from the fridge so it was quite solid, but it melts once it’s in the oven so don’t worry about spreading it too evenly.
  5. Bake for a further 10-15 minutes until the filling has set – it should feel spongy when you press it with your finger.
  6. Take them out of the tins and cool on a wire rack.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin