MUNCH RATING: 4/5
I saw Simon Rimmer make a Salmon Kiev on Something for the Weekend last Saturday and I thought it looked quite good. We had a huge trout fillet in the freezer, so I thought that would be a good substitute. It did work quite well, however the trout was quite soft and flaky, so it was a bit difficult to cut pockets to stuff with the garlic butter. But it tasted really good, even though I didn’t follow Simon’s recipe at all and just did my own thing! Steve ate his with Salad Cream (which he puts on everything!) and I tried it and it was actually really nice. It gave the fried fish that acidity to cut through the grease, a bit like tartare sauce.
I served it with Pilaf Rice, using Alton Brown’s fool-proof method (I have tried Paul Merrett’s recipe for Emergency Biryani which uses a similar method and it was a disaster!) but I added some mushrooms, red pepper and roasted squash before adding the rice to the pan. The vegetables did release some moisture, so next time I would add a bit less stock, probably 25ml less.
I made the rice first, then whilst it was in the oven I prepared the trout. Then when the rice came out of the oven to rest, I cranked up the oven to Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C and put the trout in for about 5 minutes.
- Serves: 2
Rice Pilaf Ingredients:
- 1 Tbsp oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 red pepper, chopped into 1cm pieces
- handful of mushrooms, sliced
- handful of roasted butternut squash chunks
- 1 cup rice (I used long grain jasmine rice)
- 1 1/2 cups (350-375ml) stock (use the lower amount if using watery vegetables like mushrooms)
Rice Pilaf Directions:
- Preheat the oven to Gas Mark 4/350°F/180°C.
- Heat the oil and sweat the onion and garlic until softened over a low heat, don't allow to brown.
- Add the mushrooms, peppers and squash and fry until softened.
- Add the rice and gently fry until it smells 'nutty', about 2-3 minutes.
- Add the stock, stir once and bring to a boil.
- Cover the saucepan with the damp tea-towel (it must be damp otherwise you might set it on fire!) and clamp on the lid. Fold up the corners of the tea-towel over the lid so that it's not hanging loose. You can also use greaseproof paper.
- Put the saucepan in the preheated oven and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and leave for 10-15 minutes with the lid still on, as during this time the rice is still cooking and absorbing the liquid.
Trout Kiev Ingredients:
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme, leaves picked (I used lemon thyme)
- 2 large thick trout fillets
- 2 Tbsps plain flour
- 1 free-range egg, beaten
- 4 big handfuls of panko breadcrumbs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3-4 Tbsp vegetable oil
Trout Kiev Directions:
- Put the butter, garlic, thyme leaves and some black pepper in a small bowl and mash together with a fork until well combined.
- Turn out the mixture onto a sheet of cling film and roll it into a cylinder. Chill in the freezer for five minutes.
- Using a sharp knife, make a deep slit into the side of each trout fillet to form a pocket (or lots of little pockets if one large pocket is not possible).
- When the butter mixture has chilled, slice it into 3mm discs and insert them into each of the pockets in the trout.
- Sprinkle the flour onto a plate and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Beat the egg in a shallow dish. Mix together the breadcrumbs on a separate plate. Dredge each stuffed fish fillet first in the flour, then dip it in the beaten egg, then roll it in the breadcrumbs mixture until completely coated.
- Heat the oil in an ovenproof frying pan over a medium to high heat. Add the coated trout fillets and fry for 2-3 minutes on each side, or until the breadcrumb coating is crisp and golden-brown.
- Transfer the trout to the oven now turned up to Gas mark 6/400°F/200°C and cook for a further 5 minutes, or until cooked through. (NB: The fish is cooked through when the flesh is opaque.)
0 comments:
Post a Comment