MUNCH RATING: 4/5
I slow cooked these spare ribs in my Tefal 4-in-1 for about 6 hours and then finished them in the oven to make them slightly charred for an improved flavour and appearance. They were wonderfully tender and the meat just fell off the bone!
For the marinade I used the same recipe that I use for Hoi-Sin Pork.
- Prep time: 10 minutes
- Marinade time: a few hours or ideally overnight
- Cooking time: slow cook 4-6 hours then 20 mins in oven
- 2 packs pork spare ribs (about 12 ribs)
- 3 tbsp hoi-sin sauce
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 3 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp (dark) soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ tsp Chinese five-spice powder
- 1 to 2 tablespoons honey
- Put the pork ribs in a plastic zip-lock freezer bag and then add all the marinade ingredients. Seal the bag and massage the meat so that it is fully and evenly coated. Alternatively, put the pork ribs and marinade ingredients into a large flat dish and cover with cling film. Leave them in the fridge for a few hours or ideally overnight.
- Put the pork ribs and the marinade into the slow cooker and cook (on low) for 4-6 hours until the meat is tender.
- Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C. Put the ribs into a baking tray and pour over about a third of the marinade from the slow cooker. Drizzle over 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey and roast in the oven for about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile put the rest of the marinade into a small saucepan and boil until it is thick and syrupy. Strain the marinade into a small serving bowl and then serve with the ribs as a dipping sauce.