July 31, 2010

Blueberry Crumble Cake

Blueberry Crumble Cake top

MUNCH RATING: 5/5

In the Isle of Wight Steve and I found this little eating place by the crazy golf in the Rylstone Gardens. They had loads of lovely looking cakes and we tried a Cherry Crumble Cake the first time we went there. It was so nice that we went back and tried the Apple Crumble Cake, which was just as nice. I said I would try and recreate something similar when we got home.

 

I found a recipe in my BBC Good Food 101 Cakes and Bakes book for Blackcurrant Crumble Squares and I’ve adapted it.

 

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:

Instead of blackcurrants I used blueberries as we had a lot in the fridge to use up, but I only used half the amount the original recipe stated. I used a 10 inch round silicone tin instead of a 12 x 7 inch oblong tin.

 

For the crumble topping I reduced the amount of plain flour and added some ground almonds and omitted the lemon zest as I didn’t have any. I also reduced the amount of sugar in both the cake and the crumble topping.

 

TASTE TEST:

Everyone loved this cake! Even Steve’s Mum loved it even though she’s not a fan of crumble. The cake was lovely and soft and moist and the crunchy crumble topping made a great contrasting texture.

 

This cake was a lot thicker than the slices we ate in the IOW, but it was still really good.

 

Blueberry Crumble Cake

 

    • Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C
    • Oven shelf: middle
    • You will need: 12 x 7 inch oblong tin or 10 inch round tin or 9 inch square tin, lined and greased if not using silicone

 

Ingredients:

for the cake:

  • 115g softened butter (I used Stork Margarine in the tub)
  • 150g caster sugar
  • 1 egg
  • 280g self raising flour
  • 125ml milk
  • 100g blueberries

 

for the crumble:

  • 100g caster sugar
  • 70g plain flour
  • 15g ground almonds
  • 50g butter (I used Anchor)

 

Directions:

  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
  2. Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl with a wooden spoon (or electric hand whisk) until pale and fluffy, then whisk in the egg and beat until incorporated.
  3. Sift the flour into the bowl and pour in the milk, then carefully fold them into the mixture until fully combined but do not overmix.
  4. Spoon into the prepared tin and spread evenly, then sprinkle the blueberries on top.
  5. Mix together the sugar, flour and ground almonds. Rub in the butter until the mixture is crumbly, then sprinkle on top of the blueberries.
  6. Bake for 45 minutes until the topping is golden and crunchy.
  7. Leave to cool in the tin.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin