June 5, 2009

Chocolate Cupcakes with Chocolate Sour Cream Frosting

Choc cupcakes iced_mini

MUNCH RATING: 4/5

I bought a couple of Non Stick 12 Cup Mini Muffin Pans from Amazon as they were only £4.89 each and I just couldn’t resist how cute the cupcakes would look!

The pans are really well made and although the non stick coating is good, I prefer to use paper cases rather than cooking directly in the tin. I bought 700 mini cases off Ebay for only £2.45 plus £1.99 postage, which is incredible value! The cases looked a little small when I put them in the tin, as the tin has a base diameter of 3.5cm and the cases have a base diameter of 2.5cm. But once I’d filled them with cake mixture they came out fine.

I made these for my brother’s birthday recently and he liked them! I love the mini cakes as you can just pop a whole one in your mouth! They took 10 minutes to cook at Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.

The recipe for the cake is the Dark Chocolate Cupcakes one that uses sour cream. So I thought I’d try a different frosting that also uses sour cream, which makes a very smooth frosting with a slight tang to offset the sweetness of the cakes.

Frosting Ingredients:
  • 100g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
  • 142ml (small pot) sour cream
  • 2-3 Tablespoons light muscovado sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Frosting Directions:
  1. Gently melt the chocolate, sour cream and sugar in a small saucepan, stirring until the chocolate has melted and you have a smooth icing.
  2. Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
  3. Chill in the fridge until firm until to swirl or pipe onto your cakes.
As the weather was so hot, I kept the cakes in the fridge after I’d iced them, but the cakes do taste better at room temperature so I recommend taking them out of the fridge about an hour before devouring!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin