June 12, 2009

Yorkshire Parkin

Parkin

MUNCH RATING: 1/5

I’ve never eaten this before, so I had no idea what it would be like. Parkin is essentially a northern version of gingerbread, but it tends to be more moist and it improves and gets stickier if left for 24 hours after baking. I don’t know how authentic this BBC Good Food recipe is, as it’s quite different to other Parkin recipes I’ve got (this one has oats in it, but no egg).

It is definitely a sticky cake and it was nicer served warm with hot custard! I’m not sure I’d make this again because it has a funny smell, which I can’t really describe! But I like my cakes to smell enticing so this isn’t one of my favourites by a long shot!

  • Makes: 16 squares
  • Prep time: 15 minutes
  • Cook time: 45 minutes
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 2/300°F/150°C
  • You will need: 8 x 2½ inch square tin, greased and lined with baking paper 

Ingredients:
  • 175g (6oz) plain flour
  • 200g (7oz) caster sugar (I reduced to 150g and it was still sweet)
  • 125g (4½ oz) porridge oats (I used Quaker)
  • 1½ teaspoons ground ginger
  • 1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
  • 200ml (7fl oz) semi-skimmed milk
  • 2 tablespoons golden syrup
  • 110g (4oz) butter
  • 2 Tablespoons preserved stem ginger, chopped (optional) 

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 2/300°F/150°C.
  2. Sift the flour into a large bowl, then mix in the sugar, oats, ginger and bicarbonate of soda.
  3. In a small pan, gently bring the milk, butter and golden syrup to a boil until the butter has melted.
  4. Beat the liquid into the dry ingredients and mix well. Add the stem ginger if using.
  5. Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes.
  6. Leave to cool, then cut into 16 squares.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin