September 2, 2009

Paul Merrett's Chocolate Brownie Cookies

Chocolate Brownie Cookies-1

MUNCH RATING: 3/5

This recipe is from the TV show Economy Gastronomy and it’s by Paul Merrett. I don’t really like the TV show as I think it’s incredibly patronising, so I’ve only watched a couple of episodes and this is one of the recipes I saw. I thought they looked good and easy to make, so I thought I’d give them a try.
The mixture was really quite runny and the first batch I made (on the right of the picture) came out really thin. I’d used a tablespoon to dollop the mixture onto the baking trays. Even though I’d used greaseproof paper, the cookies still stuck like mad to the paper!

I got Steve to do the second batch (as I was busy making potato cakes) and he made them a lot bigger than mine (on the left of the picture) because he thought the first batch was too thin. He said the mixture had stiffened a little bit as it had been sitting on the counter for about 20 minutes whilst we waited for the first batch to cook and cool down. The cookies still spread loads and even though he’d spaced them out, they ended up touching each other when I took them out of the oven. His batch stuck to the greaseproof paper as well.

The end result is good as they do taste like brownies. They are nice and chewy, but slighty crispy as brownies should be. However, I don’t really rate the recipe itself and I would rather make proper brownies instead!

CHANGES TO THE RECIPE:
I changed the method in Paul’s recipe to make it more logical and quicker to make by melting the chocolate in the microwave. His original recipe can be found here. I also didn’t use the nuts as I don’t like them and I used Lindt Lindor White Chocolates as that’s the only white chocolate I had in the house!

Ingredients:
  • 2 free-range eggs
  • 130g/4¾oz caster sugar
  • ½ tbsp strong black coffee
  • 20g/¾oz butter
  • 200g/7oz plain chocolate, broken into pieces
  • 30g/1oz plain flour, sifted
  • ¼ tsp baking powder
  • pinch salt
  • 50g/2oz macadamia nuts, cut in half
  • 50g/2oz white chocolate, chopped

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
  2. Melt the butter and chocolate in the microwave for 50-60 seconds on Power 8. Set aside to cool for 4-5 minutes.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, sugar and coffee for 7-8 minutes, or until lighter in colour, thick and well combined. Use an electric whisk or hand blender to save your arms from aching!
  4. Add the chocolate mixture to the egg mixture and stir until well combined.
  5. Carefully fold the flour, baking powder and salt into the batter mixture until well combined.
  6. Carefully fold the nuts (if using) and white chocolate into the batter mixture until well combined.
  7. Line 1-2 very shallow baking trays with greaseproof paper. Spoon dollops of the batter mixture onto the greaseproof paper, leaving a generous space between each spoonful of batter (the brownie biscuits will expand during cooking).
  8. Transfer the brownie biscuits to the oven and bake for 10 minutes, or until the brownie biscuits have risen but are still soft in the centre and the tops have cracked slightly. Set aside to cool and harden on a wire rack before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin