September 13, 2009

Hollandaise Sauce

Eggs Benedict

MUNCH RATING: 3/5

Steve and I didn’t know what to have for lunch the other day. We settled on poached eggs and then I suggested Eggs Benedict as I fancied having a go at making hollandaise sauce. We didn’t have any ham or smoked salmon though, so it’s not a proper Eggs Benedict!

Our poached eggs went a bit wrong as we’ve never been able to master making them into perfect balls of egg, they always spread out in the pan! They still tasted good though and the yolks were nice and runny. I would like to buy some of those Poach Pods from Lakeland as I’ve heard they’re really good.

Anyway, the hollandaise came out really good, except I used salted butter when I should have used unsalted, but we didn’t have any. Thus the sauce was incredibly salty on its own, but with the plain toast and the poached egg it worked really well.

This amount of sauce makes quite a lot, enough to generously serve 4 people. So we had a lot of sauce leftover and I used some to jazz up the mashed potato topping of my Shepherds Pie.

I have to say that this is a quick and simple way to make hollandaise sauce and there are loads of different recipes and methods. I quite like the look of Marco Pierre White’s foolproof method on the Knorr website.

Ingredients:
  • 4 egg yolks (you can freeze the egg whites and use them for meringues)
  • 2 Tablespoons water
  • 175g unsalted butter, melted
  • lemon juice
  • salt and white pepper

Directions:
  1. In a large mixing bowl whisk together the egg yolks and the 2 Tablespoons of water over a pan of simmering water (don’t let the bottom of the bowl touch the water). The mixture should look foamy and lighter in colour.
  2. Next, very slowly to begin with, whisk in the melted butter. Whilst continuing to whisk, add the lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste.
  3. Continue to whisk constantly with the heat very low, until the sauce thickens.
  4. Serve immediately or keep warm for up to 30 minutes before serving.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin