September 5, 2009

Gordon Ramsay's Shepherds Pie

Shepherds Pie-1

MUNCH RATING: 3/5

This is Gordon Ramsay’s recipe and even though I can’t stand him, I decided to try his recipe as I’d only heard good things about it. The meaty filling was very tasty due to the red wine, but we thought there wasn’t enough of it compared to the amount of potato, although I didn’t really mind because I love potatoes!

I thought it was strange that the mash didn’t have milk added to it, but egg yolks instead. Also, the ingredients stated 50g butter and olive oil, but they weren’t included in the method, so I just added the butter to the mash anyway because good mash NEEDS butter! I didn’t have any parmesan so I just used mature cheddar cheese instead and it was still pretty tasty.

I would use this recipe again for the filling, but next time I’ll make the mash my usual way by adding milk and leave out the egg yolks.

  • Serves: 4
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C
  • You will need: a large frying pan, a large ovenproof dish

Ingredients:
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 500g minced lean lamb
  • 1 large onion, finely grated
  • 1 large carrot, finely grated
  • 2 cloves garlic
  • 1-2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
  • 1 tbsp tomato puree
  • Handful of thyme sprigs, leaves picked
  • 1 sprig of rosemary, needles chopped
  • 250ml red wine (I used Cabernet Sauvignon)
  • 300ml chicken stock
  • 1kg Desiree potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
  • 50g butter
  • 2 egg yolks
  • Parmesan, for grating (I used mature cheddar cheese)
  • Olive oil (er, optional?)
  • Sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 4/350°F/180°C.
  2. Heat the oil in a large pan until hot. Season the mince and fry in the oil over moderate to high heat for 2-3 minutes. Stir the onions and carrot into the mince then grate the garlic in as well. Add the Worcestershire sauce, tomato puree and herbs and cook for 1-2 minutes, stirring constantly. Pour in the red wine and reduce until almost completely evaporated. Add the chicken stock, bring to the boil and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
  3. Meanwhile, cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender. Drain then return to the hot pan over low heat to dry out briefly. Pass them through a potato ricer then beat in the egg yolks and butter, followed by about 2 tbsp grated Parmesan. Check for seasoning.
  4. Spoon the mince into the bottom of a large ovenproof dish. Using a large spoon, layer the mashed potato generously on top of the mince, starting from the outside and working your way into the middle. Grate some extra Parmesan over and season. Fluff up the mash potato with a fork to make rough peaks. Bake in the oven for approximately 20 minutes, until bubbling and golden brown.

* The dish I used was one of my new Pyrex Pyroflam casserole dishes. I used the 1 litre one, which measures 6.8cm deep x 16cm diameter, as I wanted to make a pie that served 2 people so I filled it with half the mince and half the mash. With the other half I refilled the dish after we’d eaten and put it in the freezer for another time.

I defrosted the frozen shepherd’s pie and then reheated it in the oven at Gas 6 for about 40 minutes. I had some leftover hollandaise sauce that I’d made and I thought it would be a good idea to mix it in with the mashed potato topping, because the sauce is just butter and egg yolks. Steve wasn’t keen on the idea, so I scraped off only half the potato topping and mixed it with a generous Tablespoon of the sauce. It looked pretty disgusting after I’d mixed it with the potato and then spread it back onto the mince mixture, but I covered all the potato with some mature cheddar and after 40 minutes in the oven it looked amazing! The half that had the hollandaise sauce in had turned a lovely golden brown and it was a lot tastier than the half that didn’t have the sauce added. I love it when a plan comes together! I have to say, that Steve and I both thought the shepherds pie tasted better reheated, as if the flavours had developed more over time.

Check out my hollandaise sauce recipe here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin