September 16, 2009

Roasted Trout with Thyme

Roasted Trout
MUNCH RATING: 5/5

I took the flavouring idea of the thyme from a Jamie Oliver recipe, but I cooked the fish at a lower temperature and for twice the amount of time than he suggested. The fish was cooked perfectly, the skin and bones were easy to remove, leaving lovely big chunks of fish to pop into your mouth.
I did use Lemon Thyme as Jamie’s recipe suggested. I thought it was an incredibly subtle flavour, but Steve said he thought I’d put lemon on the fish when I hadn’t! He must have much more perceptive taste buds than me!

When I was younger I used to go fishing at a trout farm with my Dad, so I have fond memories of eating trout. This was the first time Steve had tried trout and he liked it, even though it had bones! But trout is one of those fish that is quite meaty and the bones are easy to remove once it’s cooked.

  • Serves: 2
  • Oven temperature: Gas mark 7/425°F/220°C
  • You will need: a roasting tray

Ingredients:
  • 2 whole trout, scaled and gutted (brought to room temperature)
  • 1 good handful of fresh thyme
  • Maldon salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • Couple of Tablespoons of olive oil

Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to Gas mark 7/425°F/220°C.
  2. Wash the trout inside and out and pat dry with kitchen paper.
  3. Strip the leaves from half the thyme and using a pestle and mortar (or a Jamie Flavour Shaker!), smash up the thyme leaves with a generous pinch of Maldon salt, a good grinding of black pepper and the olive oil (or very finely chop). Rub this mixture into the trout; smear the flavour into the belly cavity and onto the skin. Place the other sprigs of thyme into the cavity.
  4. Place the trout onto a roasting tray and bake in the oven for 20-25 minutes. To check that the trout is cooked properly, go to the thickest part of the trout fillet and try to pull the meat away from the bone. If it pulls away easily then it is cooked. Also look at the eye; if it is white and opaque then this is a good sign the fish is cooked.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin