April 24, 2010

Michelin Star Cookery Experience

Yesterday I attended the Michelin Star Cookery Experience at The Kitchen in Parsons Green.

 

My review for the Delicious. Magazine website has now been published!

 

Sea bass tray-1We were given the option to bring the food we’d prepared home and I thought Steve would like to try the Stuffed Sea Bass and Tarte Tatin that I’d made. So when I got home I just popped the fish straight in the oven, as it was packaged in an ovenproof container.

 

 

Sea bass-1

The fish was stuffed with red onion, tomato and herbs, then topped with slices of lemon. After 20 minutes in the oven it was perfectly cooked. They suggested serving the fish with brown rice and luckily I had some leftover in the fridge so I cooked it with some mushrooms, peppers, peas and home-grown chives.

 

Sea bass cooked-1

The sun was still out, so we ate our dinner in the breeze house. The fish was delicious and a perfect Summer dish. I told Steve it should be completely bone free as we had to remove the backbone, but there were still a few stray bones! He was still impressed though and declared he now liked sea bass.

 

 

Tarte Tatin-1

We’d also put our Tarte Tatins in an ovenproof container. I popped this in the oven as soon as the fish came out and reduced the temperature. It took a bit longer than the time suggested for the pastry to become golden brown. I think the temperature gauge on our gas oven lies.

 

 

 

Tarte Tatin pastry-1

But when it eventually was ready, it looked delicious. We had to leave it to rest for about 5 minutes, to allow the apples to absorb the caramel. When I did turn it out onto a plate, a lot of the caramel was still stuck in the cooking container and had set. So Steve popped it in the microwave to melt and then drizzled it over the apples.

 

Tarte Tatin cooked-1

We ate it with vanilla ice cream and it was very nice, except Steve thought the caramel tasted a little bitter (I thought it was perfect) and we both thought the apples were a bit tart (they were Granny Smiths). The pastry was perfectly cooked though.

 

 

 

Overall, it was a lovely meal and I learned a lot in the cookery class.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Widget by LinkWithin